No MIDI-Out for accent?

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
Lixma

No MIDI-Out for accent?

Post by Lixma » Tue May 06, 2014 8:11 pm

I'm driving a TT-303 using Phoscyon's sequencer. Gate and slide work fine but the accent has no effect?

Sebastian@d16

Re: No MIDI-Out for accent?

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi,

Internal Sequencer of Phoscyon generates higher velocity values for the accented notes, so you should dive into TT-303's configuration (i'm not familiar with this clone) and set it up to enable accents when input note reaches velocity value 127 (if of course accents are realized via velocity).

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Lixma

Post by Lixma » Thu May 08, 2014 4:27 pm

According to the TT-303's manual....
MIDI notes with a velocity value above 112 are considered to be accented notes
And it does work.

I use Live and can trigger the TT's accent by raising the velocity 'flag' in a clip without a problem; but not with Phoscyon's accent.

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:37 am

Hi,

I'm terribly sorry for misleading you, but i made a mistake in my reply (confused Phoscyon, if comes to generating MIDI events, with other our products). Phoscyon has select-able velocity values he interprets as accented notes (from its Option panel) in External mode, which also affects the notes generated by MIDI OUT. And so:

- Low - where velocity value for accented notes is 32 and for non-accented 16,
- Medium - where velocity value for accented notes is 64 and for non-accented 32,
- High - where velocity value for accented notes is 96 and for non-accented 48,

I'm afraid velocity values generated by Phoscyon don't reach required by TT303 value of 112, so that's the reason why it doesn't work. We're going in one of upcoming Phoscyon versions to expand the range of generated velocity values by adding more variants to select from or change way of how velocity values for generated / accepted MIDI notes are configured (e.g. maybe sliders to set both values customly). However it won't happen in the nearest future, but it surely will be added. In the meantime you should apply workaround to be able to get accents from TT303 when used with Phoscyon; do you have any MIDI plug-ins or MIDI modifiers in host application you use you could add to a MIDI chain between Phoscyon and TT303? You could multiply velocity value by some factor to make accented notes reach or exceed 112? Or does TT303 allows for configuration in that matter?

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Lixma

Post by Lixma » Fri May 09, 2014 1:16 pm

Thanks for the reply. As far as I can tell the TT's accent threshold cannot be manually changed (unless in a future firmware update). Whether a midi plugin could 'boost' the velocity to a higher value, I don't know. I've never heard of such a thing but then I'm fairly new to all this stuff!

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Fri May 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Hi,

In Cubase for example there are special MIDI plug-ins / modifiers that operate on MIDI events, so you can actually modify signal from MIDI input before it gets into an instrument. Tell me what DAW do you use so i could maybe come up with work around for you?

Cheers,
Sebastian

Lixma

Post by Lixma » Fri May 09, 2014 3:10 pm

I'm using Live 9.

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi,

Check out this MIDI VST plug-ins pack (freeware):

http://www.niallmoody.com/ndcplugs/ndcmidi.htm

There's MIDI Velocity Amp which you can use to increase velocity values generated by Phoscyon's MIDI output.

Let me know if that worked.

Lixma

Post by Lixma » Tue May 13, 2014 5:18 pm

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I couldn't get that particular plugin to work, however it turns out Live has just the tool built in! Hooray!

Here's how I got it working....

1: Set Phoscyon's accent level to 96....

2: Browse to Live's Velocity tool....

3: Drag it onto it's own MIDI track. Set the In/Outs like this....

4: Set the Velocity tool values to the ones shown here....

5: TADAAAAHHH! The TT-303 will now respond to Phoscyon's accents! :D

Now, to be honest, the particular values on the Velocity tool were derived from trial and error rather than any real understanding how the damn thing works, so they must be treated as approximate (I suspect reading the manual might help) but so far it works OK. Thanks for putting me on the right track.

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Wed May 14, 2014 9:34 am

Hi,

Cool! I didn't know Ableton Live has such tools built-in, i don't use Live on daily basis i need to confess. Anyways, I thank you for sharing this solution with the public here :D I'm pretty sure it'll be helpful to anybody experiencing similar problem.

Cheers,
Sebastian

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:37 pm

Thanks for the tip, Lixma.

I just recently found the Ableton velocity module useful when using Push's step sequencer with Nepheton - which uses velocites 48 and 96 for accented and non-accented hits (while Push's step sequencer has velocities defaults of 100 and 127). I used the velocity MIDI affect to match them up. Now I can sequence the Nepheton on the Push.... so much fun!