How Do I Record Into Logic Pro?? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
mikeydon

How Do I Record Into Logic Pro?? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by mikeydon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:25 pm

Guys, this acid machine is THE best emulation of the 303 in the world. I was in the UK when acid house first exploded on the scene back in 87-88 & I can't believe how amazing this machine is!!

But I have a problem, I'm not all that technical when it comes to stuff, & my problem I hope you guys can fix for me.

I'm running Logic Pro 8 on Mac OSX 10.6.4 on the Snow Leopard platform & when I choose the PHOSCYON as a software instrument on a track, I press the record button to record what I've programmed (or a preset riff I have rearranged), yet when I stop the record button in Logic. NOTHING IS RECORDED!!!

This is driving me MAD as I have remix deadlines to meet & labels that want to sign my tunes & I wanted to use the PHOSCYON on these projects, but I can't seem to record anything!!

I really would appreciate it if you guys could explain how to do this in SIMPLE TERMS like you were telling a kid, as all the tech jargon may as well be in a foreign language to me! :(

Sebastian@d16

Re: How Do I Record Into Logic Pro?? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:15 am

Hi,

I'm sorry but you cannot simply record the notes from internal sequencer of Phoscyon onto the Logic's track. There's a feature like a midi output, but it doesn't work with AU technology, this works with VST only. If you need to prepare bass line arrangement, you need to use something called "host mode", check out please manual, it explains it in detail. In few words, a host mode, allows to trigger patterns you prepared by a midi notes. So on the midi track in Logic you need to set single notes in places you want the patterns need to be triggered. That's it.

Best regards,
Sebastian

mikeydon

Post by mikeydon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:04 pm

OK. I've tried it & it works.
Last edited by mikeydon on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeydon

Post by mikeydon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:40 pm

OK, for those of you like me are as thick as shit when it comes to tech, this is what you do to make it work in Logic.....

CREATE A TRACK IN LOGIC
CHOOSE PHOSCYON IN YOUR INSTRUMENTS LIST
WHEN THE MACHINE POPS UP, CLICK ON "OPTIONS" ON THE PHOSCYON ITSELF.
CLICK ON "HOST MODE"
RIG UP A MIDI CONTROLLED KEYBOARD
PRESS EVERY INDIVIDUAL KEY ON THE KEYBOARD & YOU WILL HEAR EVERY RIFF THE PROGRAMMERS HAVE MADE WITH THE MACHINE.
CHOOSE A RIFF & PRESS RECORD

To make it record the filter openings, just do what ya normally do & click on write, latch etc & press record & tweak away & logic will have recorded it!

BADA BOOM, BADA BING!!

If you want to invent your own riffs then you have to:

CHOOSE THE PENCIL ICON IN LOGIC
DRAW AN ACTUAL BLOCK ON THE ARRANGEMENT WINDOW
GO INTO THE EDIT WINDOW PAGE
WITH THE PENCIL YOU HAVE TO PENCIL IN EVERY INDIVIDUAL NOTE (YAWN!)
PRESS PLAY & IT WILL PLAY IT
THE REST IS AS YOU WOULD NORMALLY MAKE A SONG!

Hope this helps!

Pevets

Post by Pevets » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:15 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the solution. I had the same matter with Logic. But now that I can create my own patterns, I meet another problem : how make a slide ? and an accent ?

Thanks for answer.

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:18 am

Hi,

Do you want to edit patterns internally (using Ph's sequencer) or externally (midi track in Logic)?

Best regards,
Sebastian

Pevets

Post by Pevets » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Sebastian,

In order to trigger my own presets where & when I want in Logic, I have to edit them externally.
I have thought to a thing this morning (but I am at work, so I can't try this) : to make a slide, must I overlap two notes ?
To make an accent, I suppose I can choose a 127 velocity, but, by this way, I won't be able to control it by the accent button, no ?

Thanks for answer.

d16group
Site Admin

Post by d16group » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:39 am

Hi,

Ok, overlapping notes makes the slide, and velocity 127 accents the note.

In external mode you are using Phoscyon as ordinary sound module, so internal sequencer's controls won't work - that includes accent button (not accent knob). In external mode only sound parameters (top bar) and arpeggiator work.

In order to create track arrangement using internal sequencer you may also use the "host mode". Instead of having all the notes on Logic's midi track, you can trigger whole patterns by midi notes from Logic's midi track or midi keyboard. Check out mikeydon's post above and for details look at manual.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Pevets

Post by Pevets » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:20 am

Thank you for details.