Quality setting

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:53 am

Hi,

Quality setting in Toraverb affects directly on an audible results of outcoming sound, because the interpolation used for delay lines is in a feedback loop. Linear interpolation in a feedback loop works like a ordinary lowpass filter, which cuts the high tones with every iteration. Sinc interpolation is one of the most transparent interpolation technique. This setting is advised to be used in realtime processing, since it affects directly on a sound. If You have a strong enough machine.

I'd rather advice to use lowest sinc interpolation for realtime and then for rendering use the highest order sinc.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Kickflip

Re:

Post by Kickflip » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:06 pm

Jacek@d16 wrote:Why do You think that this is a problem? :)
Linear interpolation has very poor frequency response and in feedback delay lines works as "lowpass filter" therefore the reverb sound is damped. Sinc interpolator has very good freq. response and do not change the sound spectrum therefore high frequencies are'nt damped in feedback loops.
We though about compensation for this effect (additional LP), but we've decided that better solution is to keep excelent quality and frequency response of Sinc.
Regards
Would there be any way to implement the option to choose to compensate for the dampening at different Quality settings?

It's difficult when you work at low quality for writing and mixing, and set to high quality to bounce the tune, but get a very different sounding reverb as a result. It feels like you're stuck with the quality you have chosen at the beginning, rather than being able to change it at different points in the writing process.

Sebastian@d16

Re: Quality setting

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:21 am

Hi,

I agree that the only acceptable solution is to make this compensation as separate option, to keep compatibility with the projects users made with older version.

I'm going to add this to our ToDo list.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Kickflip

Post by Kickflip » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Thanks! Good you're thinking about previous version compatibility too :)
In the new compensation feature, I think making the low quality one brighter rather than making the high quality one more dampened would be preferable, but will see how you do it anyways!

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:50 am

Hi,

It doesn't work that way :) i mean to make sound brighter requires THAT quality :)

Best regards,
Sebastian

Kickflip

Post by Kickflip » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:18 pm

Ah yes, I see how it works now :)

I understand why you left the compensation out now, although it would still be a handy feature!

I think users expect 'quality' to be a control for saving CPU cycles, but one that does not change the overall sound of the effect. Perhaps quality is more of an 'iterations' type parameter?

Are there any other ways that the computational strain of Toraverb could be optionally reduced? Ideally something which keeps the brightness, but isn't quite as perfect as the full quality setting?