how to handle drum plugs as mono modules in Logic

If you need to write about anything else please do it here...
earlgreen

how to handle drum plugs as mono modules in Logic

Post by earlgreen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:23 am

Hey everyone at d16,
maybe I just don't get it, but I think I need some help how to handle drum plugs as mono modules in Logic 8.

Usually I work like this:
set an instrument channel
insert a plug and some of my plugs have the choice to insert a mono version
e.g. ES1, EVD6, ESX24, some of my AUs also have a choice of a mono version, like Kore does
Ultrabeat let's me turn to mono when using the multi output version. Just set a new channel with the little + symbol and switch channel to mono, now set insert to the right mono channel. perfect...

As d16 modules also have the multi output feature I tried to use these as mono modules as I use the ultrabeat,
but when I press + and try to set modules insert from 3-4 to a mono one there is none.
I figured out a quite complicated way by using buses to get a mono signal.

Is there any faster way?

As Logic gives me 11 outputs for Nephetone for example (3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-16, 17-18, 19-20, 21-22, 23-24) and now
to get mono sounds it makes a total of 22 channels: 11 regular multi outs from the plug itself, plus another 11 bus channels to turn signal into mono.
This makes the mixer quite hard to overview with all these channels.

I think in the manuals it says that you can switch to mono in the options menue, but I do not find anything like that in Logic 8 d16 plug versions.
It would be kind to get some help. Maybe for easier answer you might to find some time to record a short screen video and post it somewhere like YouTube.
I really appreciate your help.
best regards
Kai

Sebastian@d16

Re: how to handle drum plugs as mono modules in Logic

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:59 am

Hi,

I'm sorry, as AudioUnits all our Drum Machines has only stereo outputs. Mono mode works only for VST versions.

Best regards,
Sebastian

earlgreen

Post by earlgreen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:36 am

Hey Sebastian,
are you gonna fix that? ... PLEASE!!!!
All your plugs should definately work on mono as a AU.
Take time if needed, as I think, that lots of Logic users would really appreciate it!
best regards
Kai

DBS

Post by DBS » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:30 am

+1

like the originals. ;)

I know it's a widely used technique to make stereo AU's (for example Arturia). For emulations of old gear it sounds a little bit nonsense to me to make it stereo. Especially for mono drums. I wish I could have the choice whether I want it in stereo or in mono.
[url=http://www.dynamikbass.com]Electro Music - Dynamik Bass System[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/themightymachine]Dynamik Bass System @ MySpace[/url]

Przemek@d16

Post by Przemek@d16 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:39 am

OK, we'll add possibility to choose between mono and stereo outputs (not for every single output but for all of them at once).

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Cheers,
Przemek

DBS

Post by DBS » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:39 pm

Przemek@d16 wrote:OK, we'll add possibility to choose between mono and stereo outputs (not for every single output but for all of them at once).

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Cheers,
Przemek

TOP! Looking forward! :)
[url=http://www.dynamikbass.com]Electro Music - Dynamik Bass System[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/themightymachine]Dynamik Bass System @ MySpace[/url]

earlgreen

Post by earlgreen » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:18 pm

Hi there at d16,
I am verry disapointed. It's been almost 2 years since I asked you about a Mono switch for drum plugs as a AU version.
It is still not there. Hey guys come on. I read a comment in a different topic from Sebastian, witch mentioned that your Stereo signal
is to be used as a Mono signal. My question is, why you programmed a Mono switch to Mac VST plug and not to AU.
Don't I get bad interferrences if drums are used in Stereo. I learned that drums always have to be set up as Mono to let them sound right.
I really want that switch to be put on all drummachines settings. As I wrote before in Logic it is realy complicated and sets up many channel strips to get a mono signal, when using drum plugs in Multi Output mode. It is even worse with phoscyon. Bass definetly has to be Mono.

If someone has a good hint how to set up all d16 plugs in Mono, I would be verry pleased.
Pics show settings for Drumazon as AU used in Logic and as VST used in Ableton.
Thanks for getting back...
cheers
Kai

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:58 am

Hi,

The option allowing to switch between stereo / mono modes despite it doesn't work in Logic is there because our plug-ins share common source code no matter for which platform are they compiled too (VST or AU and in future RTAS), that's why we did not hide that switch, because it is working in VST version. At the moment of developing AU version of drum machines, which took the place way after releasing VST versions, we weren't technologically able to make that option working for AU. With AU deciding the plug-in is either stereo or mono is performed when you insert a plug-in, that's why some plug-ins are available on a list as few options (stereo, mono, multiout etc), which wasn't compatible with our framework back then . We do plan, after releasing LuSH-101, to revise our sources and make possible to choose between stereo or mono outputs, but i suppose it won't be doable via Drum Machine's options panel, rather via choosing a plug-in via Logic's plug-in list.

Best regards,
Sebastian

earlgreen

Post by earlgreen » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:40 pm

Sebastian@d16 wrote:Hi,
rather via choosing a plug-in via Logic's plug-in list.

Best regards,
Sebastian
Hey Sebastian,
thanks for getting back to me. Actually I do not care if there is a switch to make d16 drum plugs go mono or if I can choose a full mono setup via Logic's insert list. Important is that I am able to set up all drum plugs as mono. Drums need to be played mono, also are basses. It would be cool if I can choose from Logics insert list: stereo, stereo multi output and mono multi output. Actually mono multi output is the only needed choice, if you ask me.

Now I always have to root all output channel to a BUS (using multi outputs) which I can switch to mono. That sets up two channelstrips for each sound and as I often get up to 40 to 60 channelstrips in my songs this handling makes my tracks even more complicatet in overview.

Here are two of my tracks I did setup with Nephetone. I'd really like to use d16 drum plugs more often, but its a lot of work to get the drums as mono signal. Maybe someone has got another hint to handle it.

best regards
Kai
http://snd.sc/Nodrqu

6ONE6

Post by 6ONE6 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:27 am

The only hint I can lend is to set up Drumazon/Nepheton w/ MONO channels (as you prefer) and save as a template -- this way you don't have to waste any time setting things up each session