Nepheton AU beta

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
Custa

Any new beta on the horizion

Post by Custa » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:46 am

It's been 3 months now since the first beta, are things getting any closer? Is the beta period for Drumazon going to be as long as this? Seems to be taking forever without hearing any updates.
Hardware >

Apple 17" MackBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.93Ghz - 4GB RAM - 320GB 7200 RPM Drive.

Apple Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2Ghz - 2GB RAM - 120GB 5400 RPM and 1TB 7200 RPM Drive

Software > Mac OS X 10.6.1, Logic Pro 8.0.2

Przemek@d16

Post by Przemek@d16 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:30 pm

Sorry for long silence. Good news are that we are preparing now beta AU versions of both Drumazon and Phoscyon. Drumazon will appear first in very similiar form as actual Nepheton AU. Phoscyon will be almost complete as it doesn't need multi output feature.

And after that we'll solve the multi output issue in Nepheton and Drumazon and some other minor issues. That's how it looks like.

Cheers,
Przemek

Custa

Post by Custa » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:40 pm

Przemek@d16 wrote:Sorry for long silence. Good news are that we are preparing now beta AU versions of both Drumazon and Phoscyon. Drumazon will appear first in very similiar form as actual Nepheton AU. Phoscyon will be almost complete as it doesn't need multi output feature.

And after that we'll solve the multi output issue in Nepheton and Drumazon and some other minor issues. That's how it looks like.

Cheers,
Przemek
Great to hear, we don't ask much just to be kept in the loop. Looking forward to what's coming.
Hardware >

Apple 17" MackBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.93Ghz - 4GB RAM - 320GB 7200 RPM Drive.

Apple Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2Ghz - 2GB RAM - 120GB 5400 RPM and 1TB 7200 RPM Drive

Software > Mac OS X 10.6.1, Logic Pro 8.0.2

headz

Post by headz » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:09 pm

I find the apologies given by D16 a real joke, I bought Nepheton and Drumazon over 15months ago with an AU announced at that point, the VST version still has technical sync problems with abelton Live on mac (due to the host internal clock shifts the groove as soon as larger buffer VST/AU plug used its something needs to be adressed by plugin vendors to workaround - so not only D16 to blame here).
just the good sound of both instruments set aside for amoment, there are tons of things which need to be improved in in user handling to be a top notch drummachine plugin -many good feature request seen by the loyal users only apologies & postponed announcements by the creators...

in meanwhile I find dealing with recording the original 909 / 808 in studio and take these recording on road easier that using this over-buggy plugins with unfinished feature set....especially the AU beta is not more than a feature crippled alpha.

sorry to be so harsh, but being a customer waiting so long for all the promised improvements (and seeing new products released for keeping business alive before going down) and further coming from development / QA perspective in Server/Unix domain...the experience just tells the euros I've spend in advance to this company plugins are not worth it (so far) :(

very sad, hard to not feel ripped of somehow

DBS

Post by DBS » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:47 pm

headz wrote:I bought Nepheton and Drumazon over 15months ago with an AU announced at that point,
Wow! but you are right!

I have bought Nepheton 12 month ago with the same motivation... that I can use it very soon in Logic Pro. I don't use Ableton. VST is complete useless for me. :(

However ? some day we will see a full functional AU version (I hope!). In the meantime I'm using Kontakt with samples from my real 808. The advantage: my hihats have the better sound than nepheton ;)

Cheers
[url=http://www.dynamikbass.com]Electro Music - Dynamik Bass System[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/themightymachine]Dynamik Bass System @ MySpace[/url]

ostiknostis

Post by ostiknostis » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:02 am

headz wrote: ...especially the AU beta is not more than a feature crippled alpha.
But for me, it still gets the job done, for what i need it for. I guess we all have different requirements from how we'd like to use the plugs..

I feel you though, wish all the AU versions would come out real soon. But you gotta remember that when d16 started, there were no AU versions of any D16 plugs - even for bigger companies, it can take a lot of time jumping to a new plug-in platform and get everything ironed out.

(BTW you're having sync problems with live.. are you using latency compensation?)

headz

Post by headz » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:19 am

ostiknostis wrote:
headz wrote: ...especially the AU beta is not more than a feature crippled alpha.
But for me, it still gets the job done, for what i need it for. I guess we all have different requirements from how we'd like to use the plugs..

I feel you though, wish all the AU versions would come out real soon. But you gotta remember that when d16 started, there were no AU versions of any D16 plugs - even for bigger companies, it can take a lot of time jumping to a new plug-in platform and get everything ironed out.

(BTW you're having sync problems with live.. are you using latency compensation?)
yes latency compensation starts to bring the internal host clock off in Ableton Live& Logic too (same happens with midi clock going off in logic) this offset is often an odd value and you need some time to find back the correct manual compensation in shifting things around.
This host sync going nuts effect is much worse in Ableton for any host clock driven plugin (GURU, D16 etc.) so one must have latency compensation off, freeze/record your drumbox to have things "in groove" before finally mixing a track with compensation on again.

most developers don't go that far when writing their drum/groove boxes and don't understand the needs of producers to have offset possibilities from within the plugin (only way to solve this) I had seen some internal builds from other companies groovebox plugins/instruments but they have
tossed this for public release due to most unexperienced users could screw things up.... this is a PITA especially since its technically possible.

best solution would be if hosts would accurately display detected latency figures per track (like ProTools HD does for TDM plugins) and if any sequencer based instrument/plugin has abilities to offset manually by samples.

but this will never happen in coincidence due to marketing reasons....
small vendors like D16 could adress this issue in detail if they really understand and care but it seems they rather spit out new tools to grab a little more cash and postpone initial perfection of their plugins.
thats the easier way and almost not a reason to go nuts totally as this is how world works this day anyways....

i.e. from outside music biz....ever seen a crashing cellular phone OS recently ??? this didn't happen 10 years ago on nokia/erikson cellular phones...
accuracy & stability is pretty messed up these days in lots of branches...

ostiknostis

Post by ostiknostis » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:13 pm

I feel you on the Nokia fonez.. Been developing MMS stuff for both S40 & S60 platforms, and I feel like they don't even know all the features of the SDK's etc they put out ;)

I believe things like this are caused by the inevitable economic inertia that a big company develops in time. The bigger a company gets, the more it falls victim to this external friction, resulting in poor customer value, poor documentation and support etcetera..

I still believe that if you just manage to get your point across to the D16 devs then eventually your gripes will be solved. Call me an optimist?

b-pole

Post by b-pole » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:18 pm

Nevertheless I will wait patiently for the AU's.
I think it will be worth the wait.

DBS

Maybe a Nepheton Beta 3 bug in Logic 8...

Post by DBS » Tue May 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Maybe a Nepheton Beta 3 bug in Logic 8...

Choose under ?Options/Trigger Outputs? a instrument, the plugin GUI disappear. When I close the plugin window I can?t open it again.

Mac Pro, OS 10.5.7, Logic Pro 8.0.2
[url=http://www.dynamikbass.com]Electro Music - Dynamik Bass System[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/themightymachine]Dynamik Bass System @ MySpace[/url]