Nepheton <-> real 808 comparison

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
MarshallLaw

Nepheton <-> real 808 comparison

Post by MarshallLaw » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:11 pm

Hi Guys,

Here's a little comparison I did today using Nepheton and my real 808.

Nepheton "SloJam"

Real 808 "SloJam"

Please download it and loop it, or whatever...

Imho, (don't misunderstand me, I really like the plug-in very much) :D , the Nepheton sounds a bit more "clicky" and digital. The original 808 Snare is much more "round" or soft. The Clap sounds a bit more "splashy" on the original and the cymbal and hihat has a slightly softer feel. Last but not least I think the original Kick is still phatter.
Maybe we will hear some improvements in the sound on one of the next updates to come... :wink:

Btw. no sound processing was used on the loops. Only cut and normalization were done.

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:31 am

Hi MarshallLaw

can You give us this pattern as Nepheton pattern file?
I think that it's possible to get closest result :)

Btw. Your 808 sounds a little bit different than our :roll:
Plugins sound master

MarshallLaw

Post by MarshallLaw » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:00 am

Hi Jacek,

Here's the file:

Pattern & Settings

Have Fun :D

Could you send me the settings file if you've got it sounding right?

I love the sound of my 808. i think it sounds quite fat 8)

blacker

Post by blacker » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:34 pm

Listening to those two files, the Neph kick sounds fatter to me, but hey... it's all subjective, right? :wink:
It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

MarshallLaw

Post by MarshallLaw » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:00 pm

The Nepheton kick's frequency is lower. The sound of the original kick is more "round". The Neph kick has a very defined Frequency. The originl 808s kick seems to have more overtone. To me it sounds more full.

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:26 am

MarshallLaw wrote:The sound of the original kick is more "round"
:D

I think that's exactly what we can call subjective.
Maybe Nepheton kick is a bit lower than Yours 808, but it has exact the same frequency as our 808 :)
Plugins sound master

MarshallLaw

Post by MarshallLaw » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:07 am

Yes exactly. In audio mostly everything is subjective because ears don't have a built in analyzer :wink: (well, would be nice sometimes...) :lol:
There's another developer (who I will not tell here :wink: )of a 303 clone who has built in switchable models with different characteristic of the 303 filter and oscillator so one can switch to the model he likes most. Wouldn't that be a nice feature in future versions of Nepheton?

Btw... I always wanted a plug in Version of MY 808, so unfortunately I'm quite picky about this :oops:

kvmoore

Post by kvmoore » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:15 am

Exactly currect. Marshall Law's 808 sounds different from my 808 too. The truth is all 808's don't sound the same. I usually jude the sound of an 808 by not only the kick drum but also the tonal characteristics of the snare and most importantly, the tonal characteristics of the high hats and cymbal. I've heard some 808s with crappy sounding high hats and I've heard some with spectaular sounding crispy high hats. Some of the crispiest and best sounding 808 high hats and cymbals I ever heard came from a rap music production team formally known as "Beats by the Pound." I'd probably do anything to get samples of those hats!!!!!! I wish my 808 sounded like that. Nepheton on the other hand, is the best 808 emulation I've ever heard compared to the Drumstation and Rebirth.

MarshallLaw

Post by MarshallLaw » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:53 am

Nepheton on the other hand, is the best 808 emulation I've ever heard compared to the Drumstation and Rebirth.
Yes! I've had the Drumstation... and Rebirth only used samples...

tronic307

Post by tronic307 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:31 pm

Open that guy's comparison samples in a wave editor and you'll notice that the Neph waveforms look upside down. The attacks go negative first, unlike most 808's this makes the sound pluck instead of pound. The only sound that I've confirmed as being in phase is the clave. I also agree that the BD is too deep in pitch. Perhaps D16's 808 is modded. I speculate that the snare's body is phase inverted, but the skin noise isn't, making the snare sound less splashy and a bit weird. The circuits are uncannily emulated, but those circuits had untold variables. Maybe model randomization within rated tolerances but weighted towards center of spec should be a future option.

MarshallLaw

Post by MarshallLaw » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:49 pm

...my name is not "guy"...

it doesn't matter if the wave starts going up or down. Take a mono source, invert the phase and the sound will still be the same. The energy in of the signal will also be the same. It's all a question of frequencies and levels. The "snappy" sound of the 808s snare is a noise. It will not interfere with the "body" sound wheter you invert it's phase or not.

eldorado

Post by eldorado » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:09 am

i pretty much like nephetons sound...

its quite close to rolands baby ;)

i lick my nepheton daily ***

peace
:roll:

Shy

Post by Shy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:54 pm

Forget the kicks and clicks, the differences in the ride stick out most of all. It sounds absolutely different. I think that's the biggest improvement Nepheton needs. And it has nothing to do with differences between original 808s. According to D16's own comparison samples on the site, similar difference between their 808 and Nepheton too.

6ONE6

Post by 6ONE6 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:58 pm

Agreed with Shy:

The ride has a disturbing contrast
The last tom sounds a bit off as well

BUT

Overall - I Dig it immensely !

(Still waiting for an AU to beat with on OS X however - HELP !)

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:31 pm

I have improved the Cymbal and also the Hihats (very similar synthesis). You can hear it here: http://www.d16.pl/index.php?menu=162 - the last two samples.
Hope You enjoy now.

New synthesis coming out with the next update.
Plugins sound master