PHOSCYON or Rebirth

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
rs2klee

PHOSCYON or Rebirth

Post by rs2klee » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:27 pm

hi,
new to the board and d16 so just would like to say hi to everyone :)

got the link from Computer Music Magazine

I use Reason with rewire to the Rebirth 303`s and 808 909 ect so just wanted to ask would i get the same kind of sound as the Rebirths 303`s ?

I Love the retro gadgets and have to have everything :) I have just updated my CubaseSX to V3 and see this 303 plugin and gota have one now.
any info would be great...

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:17 pm

Hi,

You can not get exactly the same sound with our plugins...
You can get REAL EMULATION of 303... and soon 909 :D
Rebirth's sound is very poor compared with real TB303 and also with PHOSCYON. Additionally with PHOSCYON You get an extra control parameters - something like DevilFish mod, but not exactly the same.

Most important thing is that You can easy put two or three or... even 10 instances into Your SX Project :). Every instance remeber settings of knobs and internal patterns. You can also programm the riffs via Midi Track if You like.

I used Rebith many years ago too, but honestly - there is no better software acidline than PHOSCYON. Using it is real fun for everyone who loves acid :D

Regards,
Jacek
Plugins sound master

anjx2

Post by anjx2 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:05 pm

In my opinion PHOSCYON sounds way better than ABL or Rebirth. Turn the Resonance knob on full power, play with Cutoff and EnvMod, compare with ABL or Rebirth and you should be sold.

Motiatronix

Post by Motiatronix » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:18 am

rs2klee wrote:
I have just updated my CubaseSX to V3 and see this 303 plugin and gota have one now.
All due respect to the great Propellerheads for bringing us a landmark in the softsynths history but Phoscyon is not only a 303 but a highly modified one at that and it sounds and behaves like the real thing!.5 years ago if Phoscyon existed, people into their 303's would probably feel they got a good deal at 300 euro such is the quality of the instrument.As for Rebirth, Phoscyon is in another league.

Now for some self persuasion :wink:

1 It has incredible control behaviour which will let you eek out the finest nuance and detail in its sonic character and will put a big grin on yer face.

2 It's a Xmas pressie for yourself because you deserve it.

3 You can't go wrong at the generous Xmas offer of 49 euro.

And while I'm at it when you get your mitts on Drumazon demo you will probably find it hard to resist once you hear and feel that authentic hypnotizzzzzing tribal beat. 8)

regards

Speedo

Post by Speedo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:16 pm

anjx2 wrote:In my opinion PHOSCYON sounds way better than ABL or Rebirth. Turn the Resonance knob on full power, play with Cutoff and EnvMod, compare with ABL or Rebirth and you should be sold.
I can't believe what I'm hearing. With "better", what do you mean? Have you even tried ABL? Have you tried a real 303?

With Phoscyon you have many possibilties to alter the sound, yes. But if you want a "real 303", I don't think you can come any closer than ABL2.

What can you say about ABL2, Jacek@d16? How do you personally think ABL2 and Phoscyon compare? I'm sure you have checked it out, but I noticed you avoided to comment it above.

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:32 pm

Speedo wrote:I'm sure you have checked it out, but I noticed you avoided to comment it above.
1st: I agree that the ABL2 sounds way better than ABL 1.5, but PHOSCYON always played like real TB303 and ABL sounds just for now... after two years since v1.5
2nd: Price, ABL2 - 95E, PHOSCYON - 59E
3rd: Sound control - PHOSCYON is almost Devilfish mod of 303. In ABL You have only poor control as in TB303
4th: Very extended randomizer in PHOSCYON. You can randomize any notes you want and exclude notes which you don't want to hear. The same with the pattern atributes etc.
5th: Arpeggiator - very usefull in GOA Acid sequences
6th: Really good distortion unit

peace :)
d16 crew
Plugins sound master

Przemek@d16

Post by Przemek@d16 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:42 pm

I think that both Phoscyon and ABL2 are very good 303 clones.
Such good that there are very few people who could pass the blind test.
And because of that most of them just express their subjective opinion and preferences - including You and me.
The one prefers ABL and second Phoscyon, that's all. The one prefers simplicity the second complexity.
Sound of both differs in such gentle nuances like it is with real 303s. Every unit plays little different.

I personally think that Phoscyon gives the user more power for almost twice lower price.

Cheers,
Przemek

Patrick_Lindsey

Post by Patrick_Lindsey » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:22 pm

I stick to phoscyon ;)
honestly 1,5 years ago I was impressed of the ABL .. but then phoscyon hit the road.. and if you compare all those features and the price..
and in my opinion even the pattern programming is better in phoscyon as in ABL ..I could transfer easily my patterns from the real 303 to phoscyon ..

I would try the blind test :P hrhr

cheerz
patrick
www.patricklindsey.de

ozorg

Post by ozorg » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:32 am

i like them both: abl(2) and phoscyn.
i think abl is i lttle bit more easy to use.
but soundwise i mostly prefer phoscyn.
if i would have to stick to only one it would be phoscyn right now.

8)
http://www.myspace.com/duvalle

Acidhead

Post by Acidhead » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:15 pm

First: forget about ReBirth, it sounds like shit, nothing but a toy.

Between the Phoscyon and ABL - indeed both good 303 emulations (I do own a couple of them so I can compare A/B) - I agree pretty much with Przemek that it is close call and thus quite subjective. But let me add my two cents anyway. I think the Phoscyon has more features and clearly wins on that front, but I also think that the ABL (also 1.5) has a better sound quality than Phoscyon, especially in the higher frequencies the Phoscyon is totally unconvincing to me (aliasing problems?). How to easily pass the blind test: turn rez, cut-off, env. mod. and decay all the way up, the one that sounds rather sharp and digital is the Phoscyon. An arpeggiator or distortion (and much better ones too) can be added externally, so these are completely unimportant to me when comparing the two. The same goes for the pattern randomizer. Because I think that sound quality is of paramount importance, to me the ABL is definitely the winner, if I had to choose one I'd definitely choose the ABL. Sorry D16 guys!

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:25 am

I find ABL absolutely uncovincing and weak, characterless and therefore useless for me. Contrary to that cheapo Ikea sound, there was something pleasing, interesting in d16 VST. Let me add that I find most of VST too poor to use except Arthuria and Korg Legacy, so my expectations are a bit high.

rktic

Post by rktic » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:40 pm

rikhyray wrote:Let me add that I find most of VST too poor to use except Arthuria and Korg Legacy, so my expectations are a bit high.
This statement shows that you seem to have very little idea what 'real' synths sound like.

Kudos -1

To answer the initial question, it is definitely possible to accomplish the Rebirth sound to 2/3 with Phoscyon and Drumazon. For the last 1/3 you have to wait for AR to release their 808 drummachine.

Apart from that i think that D16 as well as AR have two very good but slightly different in approach horses on the run. Taste decides. And i'm friggin sick of this discussion...

r

Przemek@d16

Post by Przemek@d16 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:33 pm

Exactly !
User's preferences decide. And most of real 303 freaks have both Phoscyon and ABL :)

Cheers and peace,
Przemek

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:41 pm

rktic wrote:
rikhyray wrote:Let me add that I find most of VST too poor to use except Arthuria and Korg Legacy, so my expectations are a bit high.
This statement shows that you seem to have very little idea what 'real' synths sound like.

Kudos -1

To answer the initial question, it is definitely possible to accomplish the Rebirth sound to 2/3 with Phoscyon and Drumazon. For the last 1/3 you have to wait for AR to release their 808 drummachine.

Apart from that i think that D16 as well as AR have two very good but slightly different in approach horses on the run. Taste decides. And i'm friggin sick of this discussion...

r
Who are you Ikea fanboy, to talk about my personal preferences and opinions, and my knowledge of synthesisers. ?

rktic

Post by rktic » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:14 pm

rikhyray wrote:Who are you Ikea fanboy, to talk about my personal preferences and opinions, and my knowledge of synthesisers. ?
I'm not saying anything about your opinions and preferences. That part of my statement didn't have anything to do with your post. Sorry for not pointing out clearly!

Re:Arturia.

You either have bad ears, lack of knowledge or just don't care. Since the lack of quality in their modulations and presence of oversampling (i.e. go and try modulating an osc in their modular synth with a fast lfo) is quite obvious, i doubt it's your ears. I do believe that you care, otherwise you'd be happy with Rebirth so i'm coming to above conclusion. I simply don't know any other reason for liking the sound of products which are all pretty much one-trick-unisono-ponys.

Don't take it too personally, please - convince me of the opposite!

r