Pattern names disappear

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
manducator

Pattern names disappear

Post by manducator » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:18 pm

Hello,

I'm learning about using Phoscyon.

Is it normal that the pattern names disappear? I use Win7, latest Phoscyon (1.95) and latest version of Reaper (5.04). All 64-bit.

Here's a screenshot:

Here you can see that the patterns are running in Reaper but I can't see pattern names/numbers in Phoscyon. And once they disappear, I don't know how to get them back.

The disappearance starts after cycling few times through the different play modes (Ext. seq, Int seq, host mode and use of the start/stop pattern button)

Is it a glitch or is there a trick I'm not aware of?

Thanks for your help,

Dirk

Sebastian@d16

Re: Pattern names disappear

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:24 pm

Hi Dirk,

Are you sure the disappearing name in the pattern name box involves only action you listed here? Or you tried also to re-edit the pattern name?

Thanks,

Kind regards,
Sebastian

manducator

Post by manducator » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:30 pm

Sebastian@d16 wrote:Hi Dirk,

Are you sure the disappearing name in the pattern name box involves only action you listed here? Or you tried also to re-edit the pattern name?

Thanks,

Kind regards,
Sebastian
Hello Sebastian,

I think I didn't try to re-edit the pattern name. I will check later and let you know.
Once it happens, it's impossible to enter a name.

manducator

Post by manducator » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:35 am

Hey, I made a video about my question.

Unfortunately I don't know how to record sound in my (very simple) screen capture software, but there isn't anything wrong with the sound so it's not important.

https://youtu.be/OS984G1PZAo

You see me clicking around, doing some useless stuff (clicking on the Phoscyon's start/stop button while in host mode is useless, I know).

At 0:50 you see me setting up Phoscyon for use with internal sequencer (no host mode) and when I click on Phoscyon's start/stop button, the name of the preset disappears.

Whatever playing mode I choose after that, I won't see a pattern name again. Isn't that akward for saving presets?

I'm still working my way through the manual.

Thanks for your time and the help!!

Dirk

manducator

Post by manducator » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:50 pm

Bump?

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:11 pm

Hi,

Sorry for delayed reply. Thank you for posting the video. The issue is caused exactly by the fact somehow the pattern name's edit box gets focus on it (see the 0:14 cursor blinking). I'm not sure why it gained the focus, but i'm sure that's exactly the reason why later the pattern name disappeared. I was able to reproduce this in other DAWs as well (not necessarily have to be Reaper, or even 64bit host app). The problem here is the version of programming framework we use (its version to be precise), which takes care about keeping our code being platform-independent, handling things like GUI, access to a file system, events from devices. At the time when we started using the framework in Phoscyon, it handled the keystroke events pretty badly (handling keystrokes in a plug-in is in general pretty difficult and troublesome thing). There's been great advancements in this area made in the programming framework (our current products don't manifest similar issues). But sadly at the time when maintenance updates were released (about a year ago) we couldn't swap the framework with newer one, for sake of compatibility, and we were forced to just keep updating our code preserving the framework's version. I spoke with the development team about this problem and good news is that won't be happening in our newer products like Devastor 2 or Antresol, since they are based on the most recent versions of software, but unfortunately we won't be able to do anything about this until 2.x upgrades of our Drum Machines when we won't be tied down to particular framework version by the compatibility with previous plug-in versions. I'll raise the issue again with the dev team and try to talk this through to be certain if there's any way around, but can't promise it's possible. Anyway this is going onto our ToDo list. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

manducator

Post by manducator » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:39 pm

Ok, I'm glad I could help a bit.