Threshold

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
raoul flutter

Threshold

Post by raoul flutter » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:44 pm

Hello.

What does threshold do? I don't understand how this differs from using the gate/accent/slide for each step.

Sebastian@d16

Re: Threshold

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi,

It works for Randomizer only. Take a look at manual please.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:48 pm

Also a movie clip "Randomizer" here: http://www.d16.pl/index.php?menu=10 shows a bit how the threshold knobs work.

raoul flutter

Post by raoul flutter » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:51 pm

I read the manual before I posted this question but I couldn't figure it out first!

In randomize mode it affects the density of the attribute.

But in normal pattern playing mode if you press the Edit Step Values button, and edit for instance the slide for every step, it is possible after going back to threshold mode by then using the threshold button, by for example host automation, to change the threshold level and thereby control which steps to have the slide effect. So its possible to turn off and on the slide effect even if the slide button is set for a step. Maybe you should put an illustration for this in the manual? I was confused about the matter that the gate/accent/slide button could be pressed for a step and yet the step didn't have the attribute if it exceeded the the threshold values.

I at first thought that it was possible to change the amount of gate, accent and slide for every step by the edit step values-button. So all steps would have a different gate time for instance in the intervall from 0 (no gate) to 127 (1/16).

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:51 am

Hi,

As soon as we settle down in new office i'm going to take care about preparing a video about Threshold mode + editing step values. I know it can be confusing especially it's quite complex to explain.

Basically threshold mode can be used as you noticed in regular play (not only in randomizer), when you edit pattern apart from regular attributes (binary) gate/accent/slide, you're able edit threshold values
for each of those attributes (switch on "edit step values" button, next to the threshold knobs --- when you have "edit step values" on then threshold knobs are used for setting threshold values per step), you can edit step values for each and every step in pattern. When you turn off "edit step values" button, the threshold knobs back to their regular functionality, by that i mean the giving the threshold value for steps. Now when pattern plays and step value of attribute exceeds the threshold value, then the attribute is taken into account, if attribute's value doesn't exceed threshold value, then it's omitted. I know it's hard to grasp without picture or tutorial. We're going to fix it.

Best regards,
Sebastian