Combining Patterns

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
eeksta27

Combining Patterns

Post by eeksta27 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:55 am

Hi,

I've been combining patterns,whats your fav?

I like saw dist deep + sqr pure wet legatto with some reverb

Lets get this post rolling!

V1dM4573r

Post by V1dM4573r » Fri May 29, 2009 12:29 pm

As far as production tips goes, the "Rebirth approach" may be a good one:

Two instances of Phoscyon, one with a square wave, the other with sawtooth. One has distortion, the other is clean or run through a HPF/BPF. Ping-pong delay, often set to 3/16 or 3/8 delay time depending on the tempo. The reason that this above approach works so well, is because it separates the sources in your mix. A completely different approach would be to have the same pattern playing in unison, with slight harmonic or pitch differences, maybe in octaves.

I'm a bit skeptical to the use of reverb, the exception being very similar to your preference: Square wave legato pattern with resonance, distortion may be used if the pitch is deep enough. Avoid crisp reverbs, or your mix gets clogged pretty quickly.

I don't have much input on combining different patterns, but if you're making techno, it's often clever to make a pattern that sounds nice on its own, then offset it by 1/4 note. Combine this with another pattern where the length doesn't fit into your regular 16-note loop (say 5/16), and automate for 15 minutes :)