Tips for a noob?

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
Shinigami

Tips for a noob?

Post by Shinigami » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:31 pm

Anyone who has experience in creating music using this plugin and Cubase SX3, or who wants to recommend a better host program, please help me out! I'm pretty much new to making music on a PC, and I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give me some tips and just generally help me start out...thanks.

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:53 pm

1. Run Cubase :)
2. Create a new project.
3. Press F11 (open VST instruments browser)
4. Select PHOSCYON in it
5. Add new MIDI TRACK to project
6. Connect OUT of MIDI TRACK to PHOSCYON
7. Draw a bar on MIDI TRACK using pencil tool
8. Select object selection tool
8. Double click the midi bar.
9. Draw a note using pencil (for example C-3)
10. Click PLAY on transport panel

That's all :)
Wish You luck
Plugins sound master

Shinigami

Post by Shinigami » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:22 pm

Cheers, with some practice and layering of MIDI channels I think I'll make some good songs....I'll share them when they're ready... :D

Shinigami

Post by Shinigami » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:24 pm

anyone know the technique used by Brain wherein the frequency of the TB303 goes up and down over periods of time without actual note change? Is it possible to do this without layering MIDI tracks for each frequency?

NTiOzymandias

Post by NTiOzymandias » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:07 am

Shinigami wrote:anyone know the technique used by Brain wherein the frequency of the TB303 goes up and down over periods of time without actual note change?
You mean like this?

Shinigami

Post by Shinigami » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:18 pm

pretty much, except I was wondering if I could do this within the same MIDI track, or if I had to create another and attach a new instance of Phosycon to it with the higher freq.

NTiOzymandias

Post by NTiOzymandias » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:53 am

Of course not! Learn to use parameter automation; I don't know how it works in Cubase but in Logic you can activate it simply by setting the automation mode to "touch" and turning virtual knobs while the song is playing. The computer then remembers the value of those knobs at different points in the song, and tweaks them automatically.

In this case, the knob you'd probably be most interested in twiddling is Cutoff. Turn up the resonance so you can hear the effect better while you're experimenting.

Shinigami

Post by Shinigami » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:21 pm

Alright, cheers. Using multiple tracks was cumbersome and didn't get the smoothness I was looking for, I'll try the method you suggested. :D