So What Could be Next for D16 to Thrill us With?

If you need to write about anything else please do it here...
Ankherias

Post by Ankherias » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:46 pm

I would hope to see a new synth next, if emulation then perhaps sh-101 or ems synthi would be very useful. Of course something completely new would also be interesting.

ostiknostis

Post by ostiknostis » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:19 pm

I got one, to add to your silverline fx section: A classy sounding pitch shifter!

I cannot believe how come there is so little supply for reasonably priced, quality sounding pitch shifters. Last time I checked, the only good ones cost close to 500 euros or more.

A pitch shifter has lots of uses - heck with wet/dry, you could also use it for detune/unison effects etc. I could imagine doing very funky things with just drumazon, nepheton, decimort and a pitch shifter :)

How about it D16?

mitchk1989

Post by mitchk1989 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:15 pm

I'll second my suggestion for a REALLY grungy compressor. Maybe even with only one knob.

V1dM4573r

Post by V1dM4573r » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:50 pm

There have been quite a lot of wishes for both the SH-101 and the Alpha Juno 2 / MKS-50. I was wondering if any of you have tried the free plugins from Togu Audio Line that emulate these synths? I've tried both their SH-101 and their Juno-60 emulations, but I don't have any reference to how authentic they sound.

If they're really not that good, then perhaps D16 has a market after all.

As for my wishes for new D16 products, I don't have any strong opinions. But I did hear a very convincing demo of a Roland SH-7 once...

The best part about D16 products is their "Do one thing, but do it right"-approach. I'd hate to see a new product come out that breaks this principle.

Shy

Post by Shy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:07 pm

SH-7? That's a very rare synth, so hardly anyone can call any emulation of it authentic, because it's very unlikely you'll ever use a real one.
SH-101, there are no emulations of it that come anywhere close. Even the much touted Strobe from FXpansion, which was largely based on it, sounds nothing like it except in very specific cases. And to outdo even it, would take a very massive amount of work.

In fact, it's not specific to Roland synth emulations at all. For example, all "Moog emulations" sound nothing like a real Moog synth. No digital synth can sound even remotely close. Ever heard a software synth like this? No, because it doesn't exist.

Right now I think D16's analog -drum synth- emulations are at the top, since they're the most accurate/closest to the originals. There's still much room for improvement, but at least in this field they have an advantage. I think if D16 intends to do another analog mono or poly synth emulation, it better at least outdo FXpansion's upcoming Synth Squad feature and sound wise, or it would simply be pointless.

Personally, I'd much prefer innovation in synthesis methods in the digital domain instead of emulations of analog synths (which just don't match the real thing anyway).

V1dM4573r

Post by V1dM4573r » Fri May 29, 2009 1:41 pm

Wow, you sure know how to kill an idea pretty quickly :? No offense, since I suffer from the same habit myself.
Shy wrote:I'd much prefer innovation in synthesis methods in the digital domain instead of emulations of analog synths (which just don't match the real thing anyway).
To keep that idea running, I'll expand on an old theory: Comb filter synthesis. Comb filters share the same harmonic structures as your regular tone+overtones, but inverted. So instead of hearing patterns of audio information in silence (like reading white text on black paper), you hear patterns of lacking information in audible content (like reading black text on white paper). There are a couple of problems, though:
1) The paper-analogy isn't proper because it deals with reflected information. While reading black text on white background is easier than white text on black on a piece of paper, the situation is inverted if you put a mask in front of a direct light source.
2) The comb filters must keep evolving over time, to avoid our ear's cognitive habituation process (2.5-20 seconds, depending on the type of habitiuation)
3) Processing power! KORG has done some experimental comb filter synthesis in their MOSS system, but only had a few operators, resulting in something more like a standard phaser effect. Digital waveguide synthesis utilizes similar concepts to comb filter synthesis, and we know how complex that sort of synthesis can be.
Shy wrote:No digital synth can sound even remotely close [to analog equipment]
Sure, but that doesn't mean that one can't be inspired by analog equipment. I have two suggestions, and both are inspired by the way I sometimes use my modular system in my studio:

1) An effects plugin which is nothing but a series of Control Voltage modules that may be used or abused. Imagine something like an envelope follwer, pitch-to-CV, step-based CV sequencer, LFO, CV shifter/inverter, and a snappy ADSR envelope, all of which can be triggered, synced, looped or multiplied well into the audible range using tempo or simple mathematical functions. The plugin may be used to process incoming audio signals, but may also work as a standalone CV-to-audio synthesizer. I can sometimes do much of this using automation in my DAW, but only with limited routing flexibility, and causing projects to run at several hundred BPM (limited to say 990BPM). On the other hand, my modular synth can do this, but I only have a few modules, and each module has only a few inputs and outpits for routing. Did anyone mention C64-style arpeggios? :)

2) A proper digital sub-oscillator. Yes, we all love the Whammy, so maybe that emulation would be fine on its own, but again I'm inspired by the sub-oscillator in my modular synth that triggers whenever the audio signal passes through 0. Of course that doesn't work well with anything more arbitrary than a pure signal directly from an oscillator, but maybe a more digital approach using pitch recognition could work? If only we didn't have to worry about latency...

Puranon

Post by Puranon » Fri May 29, 2009 2:59 pm

Shy wrote:For example, all "Moog emulations" sound nothing like a real Moog synth. No digital synth can sound even remotely close. Ever heard a software synth like this? No, because it doesn't exist.
Did you hear the UA Moog Filter?

http://uaudio.com/products/software/moo ... index.html

Gforce did a pretty good job emulating the ARP Odyssey too.

otheroom

Post by otheroom » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:57 pm

One of the things I like about using emulations of older analog gear is the preservation of the inherent limitations of original device. IMO, those limitations actually foster creativity by forcing you to push the envelope (pun intended). I love working with the d16 drum machines because they are pretty faithful to the originals and their sound is excellent.

That being said, I'd love to see a CR-78 to round out the Roland offerings.

A Pro-1 or SH-101 would be welcome too :)

crufty

Post by crufty » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:01 pm

1. AU version of Pho AND works @ 96 :)
2. future retro 777
3. future retro 777
4. future retro 777
5. future retro 777

It may not be possible to do the fr-777 justice on current computing hardware. 2 oscs + 2 sub oscs + nasty overdrive, bass boost, 6/18db selectable filter + filter/osc modulations and the sweetest resonance of any analog hw mean it can go from trance trumpy to evil acid with little effort. It is the most organic acid box of all time, and likely will remain so due to the parts that it is composed of no longer exist.

D16, up for the challenge?? A AU version of the 777 that is 95% there would be extremely sweet.

Teksonik

Post by Teksonik » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:22 am

hivkorn

Post by hivkorn » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:37 am

teksonik you mean this ?

I was here to ask the same :P and the price too :)

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:42 am

Hi,

"Someone" has violated NDA (non-disclosure agreement). This incident will definitely slow down development process by few months at least.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Motiatronix

Post by Motiatronix » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:54 pm

This incident will definitely slow down development process by few months at least.
I object!....make it at least 3 months while D16 get diverted torturing the culprit :wink:

Teksonik

Post by Teksonik » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:20 pm

Sebastian@d16 wrote:Hi,

"Someone" has violated NDA (non-disclosure agreement). This incident will definitely slow down development process by few months at least.

Best regards,
Sebastian
I'm sorry, do you mean me? :? :? That's the first I had heard of the project. When I'm on a private beta team I always follow the NDA's to the letter in fact I think remaining silent about the software you're testing is one of the basic rules of etiquette...........Certainly not sharing any beta version you are entrusted with would be the number one rule.

I was disturbed by this quote from the KVR thread............

"Apparently a beta-version is floating on the net"

So if a tester has leaked a Beta then I do understand your frustration and hope that justice is served. I apologize for linking to the KVR thread if it has caused you any problems. :oops:

Motiatronix

Post by Motiatronix » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi Teksonik.....I know you are asking D16, personally I cant see how you in anyway by referencing a link (especially given this threads title) discussing the leaked beta on Kvr can in anyway be a negative or wrong thing...if anything raising it here is letting D16 be aware of the issue....I guess its also become apparent just how many people are positively interested in a 101 by some of the comments, more so being done by D16.....I have wanted one natively done right for a long time myself.....oh well at least I hope it is negative scandal turned to good advertising use at the least of something good to come.