808! 909! 303! WHAT'S NEXT?!?!?

If you need to write about anything else please do it here...
mpodrug

Post by mpodrug » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:51 pm

Jacek@d16 wrote:
mpodrug wrote:Yes some of them you can load like VSTi but that way they are using more processing power, they sound different(almost same but not 1to1) then in native scope SFP mode. And some of them you can not load or you can do some tricks to half load them (Modular but unusable in VSTi) etc. Just listen these bells created on Minimax:

http://asb.creamware.com/audio/soft%20bells.mp3

Or this melody created on Prodyssey:

http://hifiboom.webhop.org/Plugins/Prod ... elodic.mp3

Listen that filter 8)

Now only VSTi-s i am using are D16 drum machines because they are absolutely best in VSTi you can find IMO. But converted to scope i believe they can only benefit. SDK is available to anyone AFAIK..
I really don't understand why the same dsp code should sound better with other platform - "magic" or "special dsp warmth" (SDW)?
I think that if You load the Creamware synths as vst you just get other dsp path - therefore they sound different ;)

I can give You 100% sure that our plugins under Scope will sound exactly the same way as they sounds now.
Yes sir! Dont get mw wrong i was 100% VSTi "soldier" for years. I started digital at first. I was caught so so deep in all that summing, null test, spectral shit that i almost get mad. Of course that was driven because of my need to get absolutely best sound from my DAW. Well now after 2 years of my "deformation" i must say i am leaving digital and going in HW. Of course not full HW as there are things i like and i wont change (drumazon etc.) and digital is still having some things hardware never will. But when you compare for example Jomox Airbase 99(not real 909) with 99,99,99% vsti drum machines (be it synth or sample engine)you will get that strange feeling of stupidity and cheap sounding VSTi-s.

I mean if one can not hear how real analog kick is better(very relative therm i know) then sampled he should change job then.. :? Now let me say that i am not analog purist or slut. That is the way what i am hearing/experiencing with HW.

Regarding Scope platform well i am sure that it would not sound same. Let me say you few things. First my english is bad. So i can not express what i want every time. Second i am aware of placebo shit, different, same and almost same (ie 0 should be 0 and 1 should be 1 at the end of day)summing engines, i have proper room acoustic and i can-love to compare things to death. I am the one who talk always about low end theory to my "pro" expensive buddies.

Why it will sound different? Because even when you pass VSTi to Scope it is sounding different. Now when you just play and compare one to one you wont notice a difference. But when you try to mix few signals difference is pretty obvious. and yes i am aware of pan law and no i am not using internal effects when comparing. Again i dont know what they are doing inside that mixer but instruments just does have better space, they gels nicely if you want and they can be very separated if you want. In my lack of english expression i will describe that experience just as "it seems to be in higher resolution". :wink: Sound of scope mixer really reminds me very on Mackie sound ..

Regarding VST and scope native mode i believe it is not that direction in what you speak about (ie VST code could be crippled for marketing purpose). You wont notice difference VSTi vs Native every time but it is subtle at best. And people are hearing this too(i am not mad crazy). Anyway even that way (vsti loaded) their synths (newer one) are far better sounding(IMO) then anything i tested to date. Only thing i am keeping right now is Drumazon, VAZ Modular and very few of them...

As is now i am routing my drumazon to scope and this wont change but that suggestion to translate drumazon in scope has been just idea for observation. I am happy to see response from you as developer and i cant wait to hear your comments as i have deep respect for everything you guys did to VSTi. Before D16 there was no serious drummachine. You just stick to what you do best and i hope you will get even more success and less warez idiots!!!

p.s. there are some things you cant do in VST SDK but can in scope SDK. Now i am not programmer but on planet z there are few skilled guys. For example guy under nickname Warp69(same nickname at KVR if you want to check his articles). That guy created IK Multimedia CSR reverb and that reverb is praised ALOT now in VST community because of pretty nice sound. He also did products for scope under Sonic Timeworks company. Device is called P-100 which is plate reverb(there is ambience and inverse unit also and yes they are outstanding). Now i am serious but that reverb is totally same as my Lexicon PCM 91 and he admitted that PCM 91 has been his goal. This is best soft plate reverb i heard and i have TC firewire here also(tested UAD plate also). When people asked him why he cant do same for VSTi (because CSR plate cant compete with P-100 in sound quality)he answered that (this is from my memory) it would simply not be CPU effective and he cant do some sort of filtering with VST SDK as it is impossible for now. Again he is not doing for scope exclusively he does have own company and he has few devices programmed for VST and even DX and AU. So what i am aiming here is that there could be maybe some advantages to do Drumazon inside scope SDK. Again i am not "code man" but maybe you should check it sometimes....

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:35 pm

mpodrug wrote: ...
When people asked him why he cant do same for VSTi (because CSR plate cant compete with P-100 in sound quality) he answered that (this is from my memory) it would simply not be CPU effective and he cant do some sort of filtering with VST SDK as it is impossible for now ...
I can agree with big CPU usage in case of reverb, however i know that there are at least few people who wrote very good reverberation algorithms even for PC platform - it's just an evolution of algorithms - better sound, less CPU usage ;)
But i can't imagine filters which are "uncodeable". VST is only an interface between dsp code and host application. You can code Your whole dsp in any language using any known/unknown techniques.

ps. everything can be emulated - it's only a matter of approximation :)
Plugins sound master

mpodrug

Post by mpodrug » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:09 pm

Yes i was wrong. I just found that thread and here it is just like you say. It is possible but CPU is issue as is today:

the Hall, Concert Hall, Chamber, SP2016, DN780 are finsihed and I have a working prototype of the EMT250.

@suthnear : The algorithms are different. You can do things (modulation) on Scope that would be too heavy on native systems. The filter implementation is totally different.

Cheers

Anyway regards and keep up the good work!

headz

Post by headz » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:36 am

whats next ? hopefully the AU versions

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:13 am

Ofourse - still working...
Plugins sound master

mpodrug

Post by mpodrug » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:56 pm

Hey...is there any wish list for Drumazon :lol:

I just found couple of things i would like to see in drumazon. Of course just idea . Nothing to have with rant or with advertising other products. I discovered this little free gem for my Creamware platform. It is totally different beast.

http://adern.com/home/modules.php?name= ... eview&id=7

It really can sound massive without any FX. I can post samples if someone is interested. It is really that amazing. Most of time i found using it more then Drumazon BD but of course Drumazon does have its own magic. IMO transient zone, body and intensitiy is what i would like to see on Drumazon BD since everything other is perfect. Yeah i know it does have alot more controls but tabbed page on BD should not harm alot :)

Guys from Adern even opened it for Modular synth inside scope so you can download complete schematics if this is needed for study. Note that you have to have scope platform.

Again if someone is interested i can tweak it live and record then post links here...

Another idea is to have control found on Jomox Airbase analog kickdrum. It is called "harmonics" and what it does is that it is used to control for changing the bass tone from sine wave through to soft distortion and an EQ control for smoothing out the sound for a softer 808 type bass drum. Now we dont want another nepheton kick but you guys from d16 could put here something different. Using that harmonics control i found i can get Jomox BD to cut through mix like no other software can do. There is also a Pitch control for taking the bass down to 25 Hz for those gut wrenching sub basses or up into conga range.

That is all for now
:lol:

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:50 pm

mpodrug wrote: Another idea is to have control found on Jomox Airbase analog kickdrum. It is called "harmonics" and what it does is that it is used to control for changing the bass tone from sine wave through to soft distortion...
Such clipping is already implemented in Drumazon, but it's fixed at some static level ;)
There is other difference - Drumazon (and 909) uses triange wave for BD synthesis instead of sine ;)

Regards
Jacek
Plugins sound master

mpodrug

Post by mpodrug » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:47 am

Jacek@d16 wrote:
mpodrug wrote: Another idea is to have control found on Jomox Airbase analog kickdrum. It is called "harmonics" and what it does is that it is used to control for changing the bass tone from sine wave through to soft distortion...
Such clipping is already implemented in Drumazon, but it's fixed at some static level ;)
There is other difference - Drumazon (and 909) uses triange wave for BD synthesis instead of sine ;)

Regards
Jacek
You probably get wrong assumption from my always bad english. jomox BD can generate kick form triangle wave too just like on real 909. This what i am trying to say is just added feature in Airbase not limitation :wink:

Si instead of replicating 909 type only it can do boooom kick like 808 and even bassline up to weird conga :wink:

I will get some time this weekend so i will post some examples.

galex

MR. SH101 AU

Post by galex » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:06 pm

Mr. SH101 ajavascript:emoticon(':shock:')
Shockedu !!!!!!!!!!!!!
pc and mac(core2duo 3.2),4g. ram,motu 828,access virus b,speak e spell(midi ),novation Zero sl,emu xboard 49,event tr8 xl,logic studio 9,ableton 8,d16 bundle,waves,many soft synth and effect..