Double click to reset a control & Default Quality Setting

If you need to write about anything else please do it here...
Kickflip

Double click to reset a control & Default Quality Setting

Post by Kickflip » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:52 pm

Hi there, been loving the Silverline range! Bought two in the January sale then topped up on the Group Buy a couple of months back, wicked plugs :D

Got a couple of small questions/feature requests

1. Is there a way to quickly reset a single control in these plugins? I just want to be able to double click to send it back to the default value - 0db for Master Gain, 50% for mix, 20hz for highpass, 17khz for lowpass, etc...

2. Can we set a default value for the Quality setting on Toraverb/Devastator/etc, so that a new instance always uses that value? Would be handy for those with uber-powerful computers, or for those who just prefer the sound of Toraverb on the higher settings.

3. Finally, can we get a display of the parameters in the Patch Name bar? Would be very useful if that would update while you are changing controls to show you what's going on.

I know you've got a high workload right now, but these would definitely be very nice little improvements :)

Kickflip

Re: Double click to reset a control & Default Quality Setting

Post by Kickflip » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Actually, for number 2, along with the user-selectable default, would be even better to be able to select a realtime and render quality as well :D

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:16 am

Hi,

Ad 1) It's very difficult to say what is "default" value, for one person mix should be set for 50%, but for the other 100% because it use reverb, chorus only on send channels

Ad 2) It's not possible at the moment, it'll be with the update(s) --- all SilverLines
Actually, for number 2, along with the user-selectable default, would be even better to be able to select a realtime and render quality as well
We'll definitely thing about that to add this to upcoming updates.

Ad 3) Not in this version, but with the update(s) we're going to add a status bar on the bottom of every plug-in to show parameter name + value you're currently tweaking, apart from that there'll be tool tip to show parameter's name when you set the mouse pointer over the control

Best regards,
Sebastian

Kickflip

Post by Kickflip » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Sebastian@d16 wrote:Hi,

Ad 1) It's very difficult to say what is "default" value, for one person mix should be set for 50%, but for the other 100% because it use reverb, chorus only on send channels
I think with quite a lot of controls the default is easy to determine. Master gain should definitely go to 0db so we can reset that if needs be. Filters should always default to fully open so we can hear the sound pass through. Looking at Devastator, Preamp would default to 0db, Dynamics should default to "Normal"... generally double clicking any control should reset it to the the value where it has no effect on the input signal, it seems to be a standard feature across many synths and plugins.

Good point about Wet/Dry, true that there are different default values for different situations.
I personally like the UAD approach to wet/dry on their reverbs - there is a button on the interface to choose 'Send' mode, when this is selected the preset's wet/dry control is overridden to 100%, no matter which preset you load - very useful when putting effects on a send bus! So handy in fact, that I sometimes go through the presets on other reverb/delay effects, saving them all as 100% wet for use on busses!

Other controls that don't directly affect the sound, ideally should reset to the values of an empty template that you can then build up into a full patch. In the example of an LFO on a filter plugin, it'd reset to a value where if it's assigned, you can hear it affecting the pitch of the cutoff frequency, at a rate somewhere in the middle, where it's not so slow that you have to wait 30 seconds before you've heard a single cycle, but it's not so fast it's bordering on FM synthesis ;)
Sebastian@d16 wrote:
Ad 2) It's not possible at the moment, it'll be with the update(s) --- all SilverLines
Actually, for number 2, along with the user-selectable default, would be even better to be able to select a realtime and render quality as well
We'll definitely thing about that to add this to upcoming updates.
Cool :)
Sebastian@d16 wrote:
Ad 3) Not in this version, but with the update(s) we're going to add a status bar on the bottom of every plug-in to show parameter name + value you're currently tweaking, apart from that there'll be tool tip to show parameter's name when you set the mouse pointer over the control
That's great news, having both will be spot on :)

sin night

Post by sin night » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:34 pm

Sebastian@d16 wrote:Ad 1) It's very difficult to say what is "default" value, for one person mix should be set for 50%, but for the other 100% because it use reverb, chorus only on send channels
What about adding a "store current settings as default values" option? Then the control reset routine could set each parameter to the user default values (or the factory values in case the user's are missing; there should be also a way to switch back to factory values from user values).

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:17 pm

Hi,

@sin night: i like this idea :)

As you know we're currently working on our synthesizer (LuSH-101) and updates of our present products, among the others changing the way how presets are stored (kept). At this moment factory bank is built-in to the
binary plug-in's file, but we're going to change way of keeping factory and user presets, and store them on disk in separate folder as separate files (each preset), that will give a tree structure of whole
bank of presets. So when you install a plug-in for the first time, installer will create factory bank preset on a harddrive. That will give you possibility of adding your own presets to factory bank without
any additional actions (like setting factory default bank resource or so). But plug-in have saved one single preset inside, which will be the "default" one, from which we could take values of particular
controls as the default values. I think that would be good idea. For our upcoming synthesizer such a "default" preset would be single SAW oscillator with all effects, envs, lfos turned off. I'm guessing
similar approach could be applied to our present products.

We could add an option to make a "default" preset editable by a user (e.g. in a form of setting default resource file), so the values from that preset would be the default values for the knob.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Kickflip

Post by Kickflip » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:31 pm

That sounds perfect! The 'saw preset' example is exactly the lines I was thinking along. :)

If there's time when other work has been done for the Override wet/dry to 100% button as well, that'd be awesome too, but I know how busy you guys must be at the moment!