D16 vs Roland

If you need to write about anything else please do it here...
Kevin

D16 vs Roland

Post by Kevin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:03 pm

Please explain....
What I don't understand...There were some issues about the GUI from Phosycon thats clear for me.
But Nepheton & Drumazon still use a GUI that looks like a 909,808 and Drumazon also uses some 909 sounds (like clap,ride,hats and cymbal) isn't this a problem (I don't care but im just curious :D )

When i'm listening to your VST's (I own all of them) they come really close to the original but still i'm missing some small things which I will describe here:

Nepheton: The bassdrum is too ''clicky'' I would like to have some more boom and less attack.

Drumazon: The original is not so clean, I'm missing some kind of noise in the kick

Phosycon: The original 303 has some kind of saturation/bite in the higher frequencies and sounds more ''clicky'' (maybe from a VCA which is triggered by the sequencer) and also more noisy

I don't know if you're planning to optimize this plugins (they already sound good IMO) but when it's possible it would be nice to have an ''vintage'' option with all the imperfections and noisyness.

In another thread i suggested to create a plug in wich emulates tape (compression),non static vinyl emulation and AD noise or something like that. Don't know if its possible but it would be nice and unique.

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:39 am

Hi,

The issue with Roland was about general look of our plug-ins (impression), they cannot forbid to use the same knob topology on GUI. It'd be just like patenting a musical keyboard - widely used standard. We changed mainly colouring of our plug-ins.

Nepheton, Drumazon: It's the problem that every specimen sounds differently, despite fact they're all based on almost the same components. So it's not possible to make everybody happy ;) We tried to make it sounding as an AVERAGE of few.

We'll think about the vintage hiss for our emulations as an option :)

Best regards,
Sebastian

Puranon

Post by Puranon » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:11 pm

Sebastian@d16 wrote:Hi,

The issue with Roland was about general look of our plug-ins (impression), they cannot forbid to use the same knob topology on GUI. It'd be just like patenting a musical keyboard - widely used standard. We changed mainly colouring of our plug-ins.

Nepheton, Drumazon: It's the problem that every specimen sounds differently, despite fact they're all based on almost the same components. So it's not possible to make everybody happy ;) We tried to make it sounding as an AVERAGE of few.

We'll think about the vintage hiss for our emulations as an option :)

Best regards,
Sebastian

With the Nepheton, you need to try improving things like release envelope and whether certain Nepheton sounds have the right eq spectrum compared to the real 808.

The Drumazon sounds very close to the real 909 but with with the Nithonat, the timbre is a bit too different from a real 606. The difference is striking up against any 606 sample library.

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:32 am

Hi,

Please consider, that most (or maybe every) of sample libraries are processed, they're never recorded as direct output from original machines. Library's producer have to at least use compressor or limiter to equalize sound levels.

Best regards,
Sebastian