Using the Edit Mode of the Sample Browser to import samples

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
hesnotthemessiah

Using the Edit Mode of the Sample Browser to import samples

Post by hesnotthemessiah » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:33 pm

Loving PunchBOX. Sounds great and is great fun to use. But there is one major area that is totally frustrating, using the Edit Mode of the Sample Browser to import samples:-

1) I loaded a drum sample "SD ANA.022" which fitted nicely with the kick drum I had created in that instance of PunchBOX. Saved the project in Reaper. Then I opened the PunchBOX sample browser again and deleted the sample from the browser. Reloaded the project in Reaper. PunchBOX loaded fine except for the module which had the "SD ANA.022" sample loaded now had no sample loaded and showed the text "SD ANA" rather than "SD ANA.022". If I had accidentally erased that sample from the PunchBOX sample browser and then reloaded that project, I would have no record of what sample I used, so would have some difficulty in finding it. As this was just an experiment I reloaded the "SD ANA.022" sample back into that module in PunchBOX and all was fine. But you can see the problem here when users start to add or remove samples from the PunchBOX sample browser. In fact later, when trying to load samples using the PunchBOX sample browser I noticed that the sample "SD ANA.022" appeared as "SD ANA" in the PunchBOX sample browser. Not good.

2) Cannot load more than a total of 3 samples into the PunchBOX sample browser when trying to load one sample at a time into it. If there are 3 samples in the browser, I have to delete a sample to load another one.

2B) Just gone straight back to PunchBOX, deleted 2 of the 3 samples in the PunchBOX sample browser and now I cannot load a sample into it. Select a sample, hit "OK" - nothing happens - no new sample in the browser. Select a sample, hit "OK" - nothing happens - no new sample in the browser. I have closed the browse and reopened the browser. Nothing.

2C) Just gone straight back to PunchBOX and now it works fine! Even no 3 sample limit now!

3) At no point have I been able to load multiple samples into the PunchBOX sample browser in one go. Just loads the first sample that is selected when more than one is highlighted.

The PunchBOX sample browser just doesn't work for me. Totally unpredictable :?

I really just want to be able to load samples from my folders that are already on my hard drive, skip through these samples whilst auditioning them and for PunchBOX to remember the location of the samples that I do use so that they can be reloaded into my Reaper project or saved as party of a preset. I have no need for tagging. I am sure I am one of many who feel the same.....................

Using Windows 10. OS Build 10586.589 Version 1511 and latest version of Reaper (5.26)

Sebastian@d16

Re: Using the Edit Mode of the Sample Browser to import samples

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:28 am

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words and feedback about PunchBox usage;

ad 1) The approach we took on loading / storing samples assumes that the samples aren't kept along with the project, but there's only "reference" kept for the sample. A reference is just sample name, which has to be unique. If you'd replace a sample you used in the project (removed one of user's samples and replace with another, different one), the project would be loaded properly however the sample changed. Its main purpose was to keep the consistency with the preset browser and lessen the memory usage for loading projects. Besides using references makes possible to point to the right sample in the Sample Browser after the project is loaded, allowing to continue browsing from the point where you finished browsing. These aspects came out during the beta tests and users opted for that. However you also have a point and probably it's preferable to keep the samples with the project along while User's resources are at stake. I've just had long discussion with one of our programmers about the approach and it's absolutely doable, besides also some ideas came through our minds about maybe even adding sort of direct import (importing samples without keeping them as User's resourc) and few others. Thank you for pointing this issue out.

ad 2) This is odd and I'm unable to reproduce this. Besides we even haven't been reported about such problem by any of PunchBox users. Could you tell me exact sequence of actions to make to reproduce this issue? I cleared all samples in my User resource and then tried to import some samples (one at the time) and didn't experience any of this. Samples are imported properly (few dozens of them already and still can import new ones). Do you have enough free disk space? Have you tried maybe to import same sample twice or more times? Does this issue concern sample cell / preset browser at each generator (Kick, Body, Tools, Click)? Do you use Reapter in 32bit or 64bit mode? What version of PunchBox have you installed?

ad 3) Selecting multiple samples when loading samples has no point, it's meant just for editing. In sample browser you can load single sample at the time per generator. Are you suggesting then it's just confusing that browsers allows to select multiple item while in fact it permits to load single sample?

Kind regards,
Sebastian

hesnotthemessiah

Post by hesnotthemessiah » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi Sebastion. :wink:

1) Problems ,for me at least, using the current sample browser method:-
a)You could risk removing/editing samples that you have used.
b)You could end up with a load of samples that you have not used....but cannot be sure if this is the case, so you don't delete them from the browser to be safe. Soon gets to the point where you have loads of samples to wade through in the user sample browser that don't need to be there.
b)You can only skip (using the PREV and NEXT buttons on the generators) between the samples that are actually in the browser. If you want to be able to edit a generator as you audition samples within it, you have to load all these samples into the browser first.

Sebastian@d16 wrote:However you also have a point and probably it's preferable to keep the samples with the project along while User's resources are at stake. I've just had long discussion with one of our programmers about the approach and it's absolutely doable, besides also some ideas came through our minds about maybe even adding sort of direct import (importing samples without keeping them as User's resourc) and few others.
Keeping samples within the project and direct importing of samples (hopefully meaning being able to choose any folder on your hard drive to load a sample from and then being able to skip through the samples in that folder from the generators "PREV" and "NEXT" buttons) would really solve the problems I mentioned above. :D I don't think there would be anyone complaining about hard drive space being wasted because of samples used by PunchBOX in a project being duplicated on a hard drive. Keeping samples within the project could be introduced as a user option.

2)This definitely happened.......but I can't get it to do that now! Plenty of disk space. I might have tried to import the same sample twice at some point. I think I just tried to load into one generator (CLICK). Using Reaper 64bit and latest version of PunchBOX 64bit (V1.0.0) I did use various methods to try and load the samples - I was in the midst of a track so didn't really make any mental not of what I was doing! Sorry. If I do get the same problem again I will make sure and take note of what process I used and get back to you.

3)It was a bit confusing for me (doesn't take a lot :? ) that the browsers allow you to select multiple items whilst in fact it permits to load only a single sample.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this Sebastion. :wink:

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:52 am

Hi,

ad 1) No need to convince us further :) It's absolutely the issue that needs to be resolved somehow, period :) Take a look at the suggested approach for User samples and easier browsing them:
http://d16.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=2588

ad 2) If you will find precise sequence of actions to reproduce this issue, please let me know ASAP. This definitely would qualify for the bugfix if happens in deterministic manner.

ad 3) Noted and put onto ToDo list making impossible to select multiple items while Browser is in regular mode (not Edit mode).

And thank you for the feedback! :)

Kind regards,
Sebastian

hesnotthemessiah

Post by hesnotthemessiah » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:58 pm

Sebastian@d16 wrote:Hi,

ad 3) Noted and put onto ToDo list making impossible to select multiple items while Browser is in regular mode (not Edit mode).

Sebastian
When I first reported the problem of not being able to select multiple items, I was referring to the following sequence of events:-

1) Select "Edit Mode".
2) Select "Import Samples"
3) Select the samples you want load from your hard drive by highlighting them.
4) Select OK.
5) These samples should now be added to your User Content.

Problem was that only the first sample was being loaded into my User Content when I first reported the problem . Just gone back and tried those steps 1 to 4 again and now all the selected samples are correctly added to my User Content. Problem seems to have resolved itself, like the situation where I couldn't load more than a total of 3 samples into the PunchBOX sample browser when trying to load one sample at a time into it - no problem there now either. Very strange. But, if no-one else reports either of these two problems, then I guess I must have been doing something wrong. I will definitely let you know if this happens again.....but I probably will never use this method if direct sample import from anywhere on a hard dive is implemented. :wink:

I think you thought I meant that I was trying to load multiple samples into a generator when in regular (not Edit) mode. I realise, like you have explained, that there would be no point in trying to do this.

But yes, I would suggest that it's confusing that browsers allow you to select multiple items while in fact it permits to load only a single sample into the generator.

My head hurts. :P Keep downing that coffee Sebastian!

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:42 am

Hi,

Ah, I thought you were referring to selecting multiple items in Results section, not the Import window. Not it's clear to me. Thank you.

Spite that couldn't reproduce this misbehavior in Import dialog. However I experienced some one-time glitch while selecting multiple samples to import, so I put that onto ToDo list for programmers to check how the mouse / keyboard events are handled there - it may be a little bug in there :)

Btw. you probably noticed annoying thing about dialog import that it doesn't keep the last browsed location once you close it - that's on our ToDo list already ;)
My head hurts. :P Keep downing that coffee Sebastian!
Can't allow caffeine levels in my bloodstream to reach dangerously low value, my mug doesn't leave me ;P

Cheers,
Sebastian

hesnotthemessiah

Post by hesnotthemessiah » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:10 pm

Sebastian@d16 wrote: Btw. you probably noticed annoying thing about dialog import that it doesn't keep the last browsed location once you close it - that's on our ToDo list already ;)

Yes, I noticed that and it was annoying. Great that it is on your to do list. :wink: