User presets management

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
teacue

User presets management

Post by teacue » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:28 pm

Finally bought PunchBOX and glad I did :)

I do not fully understand how the user presets management works.

1. There is a folder for user presets: Punchbox / UserStore / Presets
In the "Presets" folder there are 7 subfolder: 606, 808, 909, Bitcrusher, Distortion, Master, Sine.
What are these subfolder for?

2. When I save a preset, it is saved in the subfolder "Master".
Why and why do all the user presets I made go into this folder undependently on how I set a tag?

3. Is it possible to create my own user presets subfolder?

4. Is it possible to move the user presets folder to another location?

Best regards

teacue

Re: User presets management

Post by teacue » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:22 pm

Ah, I now have found what are the subfolder for!
I did not realize that there is a dedicated save preset button for the generators 808, 909, 606 and sine!
And for some reason I oversaw that there is also a save preset button for the effects Bitcrusher and Distortion!
I also realize that the tags have nothingto do where a preset is saved.

So now questions 1 and 2 are answered.

Could you still answer to my 3. and 4. questions?

Best regards

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:05 pm

Hi Teacue,

First of all, thank you for purchasing PunchBox :) As for the questions you do have regarding the plug-in's preset management system; It's not hierarchical structure, like files and folders. The presets are arranged in regular, linear fashion, however the THING that allows to manage them more efficiently is system of tags we've developed. What you can see in the Browser's Filter section is set of filters corresponding to particular categories and tags within each category. Factory content was tagged in advance. Filtering works like cascade of sieves, where first sieve is represented by the leftmost category and the last sieve is the rightmost one. So we have (by default in the order) Mode, then Type, then Genre. All presets are then first filtered by presence of tags from Mode category, then by tags from Type category, and finally by Genre category. But the presets themselves are still arranged linearly, the filtering makes the impression of hierarchy.

But addressing to your questions:
3. Is it possible to create my own user presets subfolder?
Unfortunately not. We disabled that functionality for users. I mean you can't add your own tags within existing categories nor can't add own categories. The reason is that we're going to release some preset / sample add-ons in the future, also we have plans of creating platform for exchaning presets between users. To make it all more coherent and consistent in every aspect requires the categories and tags being set once and for all per device (in this case PunchBox) OR at least to control the process. User is permitted to tag their own presets / samples using tags and categories already provided by us (via Edit Mode) nothing more.
Is it possible to move the user presets folder to another location?
It's possible (Edit mode).

Hope it shed some light on the topic,

Kind regards,
Sebastian

teacue

Post by teacue » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:52 pm

Thank you for your answers.

Best regards