Distorted/rectified drum sounds

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
division

Distorted/rectified drum sounds

Post by division » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:08 am

Switching the presets often generates distorted/rectified drum sounds, when I reduce the CPU power.
I'm using Windows 10 & Ableton Live 64bit.

division

Re: Distorted/rectified drum sounds

Post by division » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:11 pm

Still not fixed with Version 1.0.1... ;-(

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:15 am

Hi,

Could I know a little more about the nature of this issue; When you switch the presets and the distortion kicks in, does it persists and the sound after you change the preset doesn't sound as expected or it's just moment of switching the presets which is affected by the problem.

Also what exactly does it mean "reducing CPU power"?

Thank you,

Kind regards,
Sebastian

division

Post by division » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:35 am

Hi Sebastian,

the distorted sound remains until I switch to another preset. In most cases the new sound sounds okay afterwards.

With reducing CPU power I mean that I'm using it in energy saving mode. Therefore the CPU (i7-4770) is only running on one Core with reduced speed.
I often use that while sitting in front of the television (second screen you know...)

Yesterday I've had the same problem running at full speed (high performance mode)!

Greetings
Gerd

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:51 am

Hi Gerd,

Ok, so sound remains distorted until you switch preset, but what's causing the distorition, when it kicks in, what action triggers it. I need to know precisely in order being able to reproduce it on our setup.

Also tell me more details about your setup:

What version of Ableton Live do you use?
Have you installed PunchBOX 64bit or 32bit (I need to be certain)?
What Audio Interface do you use, also tell me whether you use ASIO driver + how large buffer is set?
Does the problem happen everytime you insert PunchBOX (even into empty project)?
What CPU usage do you notice when this problem happens? need to exclude this is just underrunning buffer due to high CPU usage.

Thank you,

Kind regards,
Sebastian

division

Post by division » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi Sebastin,

I'm running the latest Beta of Ableton Live V9.6.2b5 Build 2016-06-22 (Win 64Bit) under Windows 10 64 Bit.
I have installed PunchBox V1.0.1 64Bit.
Currently I'm using the onboard soundcard (Realtek High Definition Audio Chipset) with ASIO4All v2.13.
Buffer Size is 512 Samples.

It happens when inserting PunchBox into an empty project.
Then you only have to switch with the next-Button through the presets and listen to the Kickdrums.
That's it. You will instantly notice the defect Kicks.

I just noticed that the corrupt sound gets "repaired" when opening the ASIO4ALL control panel and closing it without changing anything!
Therefore I changed the soundcard. I connected my TR-8 and what shound I say... I can't reproduce the error!

Strange how can this happen??? The ASIO driver should not change it's format and/or buffer size by selecting a different preset!
Sorry I'm a C/C++ programmer with VST/Host(DirectSound,ASIO) programming knowledge and can't understand what's going on there...

Greetings
Gerd

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:13 pm

Hi,

For me it looks like driver/configuration specific issue, not directly related to PunchBox. Could you tell me when this happens do you notice intensified CPU usage, or CPU peaks in Live's performance meter? Also are you able to do audio mixdown with the artifacts you're describing present in the output wave?

Do you have any other third party audio plug-in that uses as much or more CPU power as PunchBox and tell me whether your setup behaves properly?

Also you mentioning you use beta version of Live, have you updated it recently, I mean if you were able to give a spin to PunchBox on official version as well - I need to be sure how PunchBox behaves on your setup when official release of Live is used.

Thank you,

Kind regards,
Sebastian

division

Post by division » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:48 pm

Hi Sebastian,

now, even with ASIO4ALL I can't reproduce the error.
But when it occurres again, I'll let you know!

Never the less... Thanks for your great support! :-)

Cheers
Gerd