Generators, sample-banks and parameter values

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
teacue

Generators, sample-banks and parameter values

Post by teacue » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:57 pm

Evaluating PunchBOX I am quite impressed with your work!
Among other nice features I find the presets and samples browsers really well organised, fast and easy :-)

I have some questions:

1. Are the three generators exactly the same (except no sample start for the click)?
I mean if I load a sample in one generator will it sound exactly the same in another generator with the same parameter values?
If not, what are the differences?

2. I notice that the factory samples are bounded in a .d16pkg bank for each generator.
Is there a way to load in one generator samples from another generator bank?

3. In the evaluation mode it is not possible to load your own samples.
Could you please tell how the user samples are organized?
Are they also bounded in a d16pkg bank or do they stay on their own in a folder?
Do the user samples have to be separated for each generator?

4. There is a field for the parameter value in the midi learn window.
Unfortunately it is not possible to type any value.
Would you consider adding this feature?

5. I am not a fan of the grungy skin, mostly because I find it quite difficult to read.
Will you provide some clean skins?

Best regards and thanks for your work

Sebastian@d16

Re: Generators, sample-banks and parameter values

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:48 am

Hi,

First of all thank you for kind words about PunchBOX :) Let me address to your questions:
1. Are the three generators exactly the same (except no sample start for the click)? I mean if I load a sample in one generator will it sound exactly the same in another generator with the same parameter values? If not, what are the differences?
Click, Tops and Tools do differ by only Sample Start parameter, but there's no difference in their signal processing paths. If you had loaded same sample to each of these and set each one with exact same parameter set, you'd have got same sound result. No difference besides Sample Start which does not exists in Clicks (reserved for short sound, that's why it's not there). The Kick Body generator though is bit different, mainly because it has selectable engines and each of these has its own set of parameters.
2. I notice that the factory samples are bounded in a .d16pkg bank for each generator. Is there a way to load in one generator samples from another generator bank?
I'm sorry, sample packages are designated to be used in particular generators and it's impossible to move samples one to another. You can of course import your own samples and distribute them among the generators accordingly to your liking.
3. In the evaluation mode it is not possible to load your own samples. Could you please tell how the user samples are organized? Are they also bounded in a d16pkg bank or do they stay on their own in a folder? Do the user samples have to be separated for each generator?
User samples aren't gathered in packages, during the import they are copied and kept in a system's user folder as separate files (with emphasis on copying, PunchBOX doesn't use samples from their original location). Samples are converted to our own sample format (makes easier to manage, tagging etc). Also user samples are not shared among all generators. Each of generators has its own user sample resource, so they are kept separated from each other.
4. There is a field for the parameter value in the midi learn window. Unfortunately it is not possible to type any value. Would you consider adding this feature?
That's exactly our intention and we do plan to include the functionality to all our products
5. I am not a fan of the grungy skin, mostly because I find it quite difficult to read. Will you provide some clean skins?
We've already received several requests reagarding this problem, so we'll consider including alternative (bigger) gui skin.

Thank you and kind regards,
Sebastian

teacue

Re: Generators, sample-banks and parameter values

Post by teacue » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:32 am

Thanks a lot for your precised and detailed answers :)

Best regards