LFO sync

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
pawel

LFO sync

Post by pawel » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:10 pm

Hello,
I got questions regading LFO sync.
1. Is there any way to sync LFO with a beat? I know I can use 'sync to tempo' button. But still, can I enforce LFO to start (up or down) on a beat? I could achieve that starting MIDI note in right time, but that's sometimes not the best option for me.
2. I'm not sure I understand how LFO2 works with ARPEGGIO on. LFO2 seems to run on it's own set rate only in NONE mode. TRIG, GATE and ARPE are dependent on ARPEGGIO notes. However, sometimes GATE seems to work with LFO's rate, but I'm not sure how I achieved this.

Also, there is an issue for me with FX send knobs in Master Mixer screen. After I start DAW with project with LUSH, all of the knobs are at position 0, but FX send is actually working as I set it previously before closing project. But it's not always like this, sometimes they are ok. And also if they are at 0, if I load the preset again, knobs sets to their proper positions.
I'm using Cubase Elements 9

Regards,
Paweł

Sebastian@d16

Re: LFO sync

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi Pawel,
1. Is there any way to sync LFO with a beat? I know I can use 'sync to tempo' button. But still, can I enforce LFO to start (up or down) on a beat? I could achieve that starting MIDI note in right time, but that's sometimes not the best option for me.
I'm sorry, it's not possible to align the LFO's oscillation (even when synchronized with the tempo) to the project's position (if that's what you meant). The LFO can work only as free running (so it's lottery) or re-triggered every time you hit the note. The only thing you can do is to enable Mono Mode for a LFO, which aligns phases of LFO for all voices in polyphony (within single Layer)
2. I'm not sure I understand how LFO2 works with ARPEGGIO on. LFO2 seems to run on it's own set rate only in NONE mode. TRIG, GATE and ARPE are dependent on ARPEGGIO notes. However, sometimes GATE seems to work with LFO's rate, but I'm not sure how I achieved this.
Apre retrigger mode resets LFO phase every time Arpeggiator starts generating new sequence, but this works only with one voice of polyphony or mono polyphony mode enabled.
Also, there is an issue for me with FX send knobs in Master Mixer screen. After I start DAW with project with LUSH, all of the knobs are at position 0, but FX send is actually working as I set it previously before closing project. But it's not always like this, sometimes they are ok. And also if they are at 0, if I load the preset again, knobs sets to their proper positions.
I'm using Cubase Elements 9
That's odd because we use Cubase Pro on daily basis since version 4 and I just tried out to reproduce this problem using Cubase Pro 9 - everything seems to be working fine. Are you able to reproduce this issue on another computer with Cubase Elements installed? Do you use the latest LuSH version (1.1.3)?

Kind regards,
Sebastian

pawel

Post by pawel » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Hello, thanks for answer.

1. Yes, thats what I meant.
2. I'll have to figure out how Arpeggiator with LFO on amp or cutoff works. Sometimes I expected it to work in different way than it is, maybe I'm doing something in a wrong way. And Arpe mode might be what I need instead of Trig or Gate.

3. Ufortuately I cannot try it on another computer. Yes, Lush version 1.1.3
I found when it happens. In a new project, 7 Lush instances, choose any storage or my own made preset or timbre. Save, reopen Cubase. GUI of all 5+ instances loads with default settings, as it would be a fresh, newly added Lush instance. All default, knobs and names. But sounds are ok, those of the presets I choose before closing project previously. Switching between layers brings back layer info on GUI, but preset name is still 'Default' and knobs on Master Mixer are default. Reloading preset (switching to other and back) brings everything on GUI back.

Cheers,
Paweł

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:30 am

Ahoy,
3. Ufortuately I cannot try it on another computer. Yes, Lush version 1.1.3
I found when it happens. In a new project, 7 Lush instances, choose any storage or my own made preset or timbre. Save, reopen Cubase. GUI of all 5+ instances loads with default settings, as it would be a fresh, newly added Lush instance. All default, knobs and names. But sounds are ok, those of the presets I choose before closing project previously. Switching between layers brings back layer info on GUI, but preset name is still 'Default' and knobs on Master Mixer are default. Reloading preset (switching to other and back) brings everything on GUI back.
Very likely you experience 5+ instances issue - I know it sounds ridiculous, but we call it that way. Please confirm whether you use 64bit Live and LuSH working in 64bit mode (Windows)?

Thank you,

Kind regards,
Sebastian

pawel

Post by pawel » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi, yes, all 64 bit - Windows 8.1, Cubase Elements 9 and LuSH.

Cheers,
Paweł

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:00 am

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. The problem affects 64bit version only and occurs when project with 5 or more instances is recalled, but manifests differently in each case. Mostly by not refreshing some controls' values when project is loaded up. The source of this issue lays in the third party programming framework we use - just updating it should resolve this issue. Unfortunately each time we update the framework we need to catch up with our code to make it suitable. As we've been releasing new plug-ins and updates since publication of the most recent version of LuSH-101 it's become impossible to catch up with the most current version of the third party framework we utilize now days to just release new update of LuSH-101 that would just be a hotfix. I'm afraid the problem will be fixed along with the LuSH 2.0 release, not before. I'm very sorry. FYI: we won't be updating LuSH-101 1.x anymore and all the new features and fixes are planned to be done with version 2.0, so the next version will be the next gen LuSH.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

pawel

Post by pawel » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:50 pm

Hello,
Thank You for explanation! Looking forward for 2.0 then :) Besides that and hardware resources usage (I'm currently on some i5 laptop), current version seems really nice.
Can You share any expectations regarding approximated release date ? But it's ok if You can't tell.
Cheers,
Paweł

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:23 am

Hi,

Right now we're preparing maintenance updates of the most recent effect units as well as few new releases, so there's too many variables to tell the date (even roughly estimated). I'm very sorry.

Cheers,
Sebastian