Parameters & mapping

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
Sebastian@d16

Re: Parameters & mapping

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi,

It's not only the matter of our approach, but also VST SDK and MIDI specs as well. Accordingly to VST SDK, the VST derived parameters are usually used for automation mainly, while MIDI learn rather for controlling some parameters using external MIDI device. If comes to implications both means are similar, BUT .. VST automation has much better resolution and refresh rate, so it's designed for the rapid value changes, while MIDI learn is based upon the good old MIDI specification with limited number of CC, their resolution and of course protocol's rate the codes can be sent at (time resolution factor). Based on that we rather prefer to use VST parameters for controlling sound parameters exclusively, while MIDI parameters extending over some additional editing functions as well. Of course both methods can be applied interchangeably since parameter smoothing is applied, but despite that VST parameters are more precise in terms of time and resolution.

That's why we prefer to use VST automation for parameter which rapid changes won't cause any unexpected audible effects and MIDI CC for covering wider range of controls.

Apart from that automating some of the parameters is not a good idea at all (speaking of device generating sound in the mean time). Things like polyphony should be rather changed while synth isn't playing at all, that's another reason why we excluded this particular one from automation. But we could enable it for MIDI learn probably.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

moscom

Post by moscom » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:44 pm

Ok, cool! I understand now. Then I would live hapily with these parameters accessible through MIDI.

Cheers!

Moscom

moscom

Post by moscom » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:30 pm

Hi,

on second thoughts, and after having played with bitwig a bit, I still think that it be good that these controls be accessible as parameters. I understand your concerns about these being automated (and that it is not recommended by the VST SDK). Nonehteless, from the point of view of controller mapping, and given the way Bitwig, Max For Live and others seem to be dealing with this, it seems like it would make life easier if all controls were accessible as parameters.

is there any way to make a control accessib;e as a parameter while preventing its automation? Can it be stored and not automated?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the insistence.
Cheers
Moscom

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:12 am

Hi,

Of course any control on GUI can be made automatable, that's not problem at all. I can promise you we are going to revise our approach and think about expanding the set of automatable parameters in our plug-ins.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

moscom

Post by moscom » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:40 am

Great, thanks, eager to see this implemented!