Crackle

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
MikeyB

Crackle

Post by MikeyB » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:35 pm

I get a crackle in FLStudio 12.2 when using Syntorus with SynthMaster 2.7.6. My operating system is Windows 10. Otherwise I love it. I don't get this crackle when Syntorus is removed from the signal path.

Sebastian@d16

Re: Crackle

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:06 am

Hi,

Are the crackles gone as soon as you remove Synth Master either? Does the problem occur when you start empty project with both plug-ins alone? When the crackles kick in, do you notice any significantly larger CPU usage?

Also tell me something more about your computer set like:
- Do you use FL Studio in 32bit or 64bit mode?
- Have you installed 64bit or 32bit version of Syntorus?
- What version of FL Studio have you installed exactly (is it the latest build)?
- What version of Syntorus do you use?
- Is the Windows 10 64bit or 32bit?
- Do you use Syntorus in demo mode or it's fully activated one?
- What audio interface do you use + what type of driver (ASIO, WASAPI, WDM etc)?
- How large is the audio buffer set in FL Studio?

Thank you,

Kind regards,
Sebastian

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:31 pm

The crackles are not present when I use Syntorus with Toxic Biohazard or Harmor. I use FL Studio 32 bit and it is 12.2 build 3. I have used both 32 and 64 bit Syntorus Version 1.4.0. I have Windows 10 64 bit, I am using Syntorus fully activated. Strangely, using Syntorus with Synthmaster has resulted in some buffer underruns with no higher than 13% CPU load. I have adjusted to 186 ms with just my primary audio driver that came with my computer. This eliminated the underruns but the crackle is still present. I can't remember what the setting were when I first got underruns but I know using FL Asio with Max setting and triple buffer didn't eliminate them.
CPU goes from %7-10 with all other effects eliminated and some times the crackle happens at 7,8,9 or %10.

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:52 am

Hey Mikey,

Thank you for answering my questions. I will have to acquire license for testing from KV331audio and will keep you posted about the progress.

Have a nice day,

Kind regards,
Sebastian

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:41 pm

Ok, thanks.

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:38 am

Hi,

Guys from KV331 Audio suggested the crackles appear because you didn't enable "use fixed size buffers" setting for the SynthMaster track:
fixed buffer size.jpg
fixed buffer size.jpg (113.02 KiB) Viewed 27394 times
Try to enable the setting

Kind regards,
Sebastian

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:28 pm

I enabled fixed buffer size and I am still getting the crackle.

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi Mike,

I just needed some time to prepare setup reflecting your configuration, namely having installed SynthMaster, Syntorus and FT Studio 12.2 32bit on Windows 10 64bit, but unfortunately despite my efforts I couldn't reproduce the problem. So could you confirm me whether this problem happens when you create new (empty) project with SynthMaster and Syntorus present only? Also since you use integrated sound card, could you try out installing and switching to ASIO4ALL driver? It's probably the most efficient and most extensively tested non-native ASIO driver there is.

Thank you,

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:04 pm

additionally, could you tell me what CPU do you use? (speed + model)?

Thank you,
Sebastian

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:24 pm

Wow. When I start a new project with Syntorus first, there are no problems, even with other effects added later. This is true with Asio4all and the primary driver.
My CPU is Intel Pentium G2020 and apparently a dual core as it lists 2.9 ghz twice.

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:37 am

Hi Mike,

My guess it's the crackles may be related to the ASIO driver you used previously with onboard card. Non-native drivers (without hardware supporting it) which very often produces buffer underruns (as the direct cause of crackles) when buffer size is not large enough - in most of cases to make it work properly the buffer has to be set to enormous values. Non-native driver has to use some tricks to increase performance in comparison with regular WDM, WASAPI or other type of driver and as far as I tested plenty of them ASIO4ALL does real magic.

Thanks for your CPU specs. Btw. as the modern CPUs dynamically changes its speed frequency depending on need for processing power (frequency multiplier), the change is not necessarily instant which also may be potential reason for the crackles when CPU usage varies rapidly. You may try switching energy profile in your system (from 'balanced' - which is default to 'high performance').

Kind regards,
Sebastian