Nithonat, a few first thing:

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
CosmicD

Nithonat, a few first thing:

Post by CosmicD » Mon May 25, 2009 2:15 pm

Hello,

Been testing it for an half our and it sounds cool!. Real snappy snare drum and kicks with adjustable punch.

So a few things I'm wondering about,

Is it normal that the high hats have no mute group ? (closed high hat doesnt override the open one).

ANd is it normal that I have the impression that they sound a littlebit distorted ?

Also the master volume doesn't seem to work.

writing numpad keys in the display to give your name a preset don't work.
http://www.cosmicdreamer.be

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Mon May 25, 2009 2:44 pm

Yeah the hats sound distorted even when the vol pots are low.

CHH shuts off OHH correctly here in ableton 8.

sounds very nice though!
Last edited by globalgoon on Mon May 25, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacek@d16

Re: Nithonat, a few first thing:

Post by Jacek@d16 » Mon May 25, 2009 2:46 pm

CosmicD wrote: Is it normal that the high hats have no mute group ? (closed high hat doesnt override the open one).
Use the LINK button between hihat's Levels knobs
CosmicD wrote: ANd is it normal that I have the impression that they sound a littlebit distorted ?
The 606 master amplifier makes it sound dirty when accented (high midi note volume) - it's normal :)
CosmicD wrote:Also the master volume doesn't seem to work.
We know that. We will upload newer version in few days.
CosmicD wrote:writing numpad keys in the display to give your name a preset don't work.
Thanks for hint.

Regards,
Jacek
Plugins sound master

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Mon May 25, 2009 2:52 pm

Jacek@d16 wrote:
CosmicD wrote: Is it normal that the high hats have no mute group ? (closed high hat doesnt override the open one).
Use the LINK button between hihat's Levels knobs
CosmicD wrote: ANd is it normal that I have the impression that they sound a littlebit distorted ?
The 606 master amplifier makes it sound dirty when accented (high midi note volume) - it's normal :)
CosmicD wrote:Also the master volume doesn't seem to work.
We know that. We will upload newer version in few days.
CosmicD wrote:writing numpad keys in the display to give your name a preset don't work.
Thanks for hint.

Regards,
Jacek
oh yeah, all my midi velocity's were high

sounds boss!

a quick blast on it: http://www.globalgoon.com/6070606b.mp3

(doubled the snare with the hi tom)
Last edited by globalgoon on Mon May 25, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CosmicD

Post by CosmicD » Mon May 25, 2009 3:00 pm

mine too..

besides, i'm testing it out in reaper 3.0.

To further elaborate on the "mute group" for the HH's. I have both tried the link and unlink sound with the same pattern.

It seems that the open high hat still has a decay when the close hh follows up to in in the next 16th note. and I notice that when the link feature is enabled, the volume of the HH is et much louder somehow.

CosmicD

Post by CosmicD » Mon May 25, 2009 3:05 pm

Another weird thing with the decay feature for the open high hat is that it's sustain ADSR pole seems tobe almost infinite when set to the maximum value. When you stop the pattern just as the open hi hat plays you'll hear the OHH sound forever-ish. But when the pattern plays (when pressing start of the host, in my case reaper 3, the OHH's decay won't be affected in any way. Linked or unlinked.

Shouldn't the decay control the release of the instrument instead of sustain?

If you play the key on the keyboard (wihtout play start of the host) and tweak the decay, it will have the same artefact i describe above (namely the eternal sustain)

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:08 pm

globalgoon wrote: oh yeah, all my midi velocity's were high

sounds boss!

a quick blast on it: http://www.globalgoon.com/6070606b.mp3

(doubled the snare with the hi tom)
Very nice drumloop :)
Plugins sound master

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:15 pm

CosmicD wrote:Another weird thing with the decay feature for the open high hat is that it's sustain ADSR pole seems tobe almost infinite when set to the maximum value. When you stop the pattern just as the open hi hat plays you'll hear the OHH sound forever-ish. But when the pattern plays (when pressing start of the host, in my case reaper 3, the OHH's decay won't be affected in any way. Linked or unlinked.

Shouldn't the decay control the release of the instrument instead of sustain?

If you play the key on the keyboard (wihtout play start of the host) and tweak the decay, it will have the same artefact i describe above (namely the eternal sustain)
It isn't a "normal" decay or release at all. 606 makes the OH decay depend on tempo, so we've decided to "fake" the length of OH like the 606 does. The Decay parameter controls the "clock speed" - not the decay itself. Thanks that we heve natural shape of OH VCA - that's it.
CosmicD wrote:it seems that the open high hat still has a decay when the close hh follows up to in in the next 16th note
OH and CH has the same VCA when linked, so both envelopes (OH and CH) overlaps together into one VCA control signal. Therefore some short portion of OH env affects the CH.
Plugins sound master

CosmicD

Post by CosmicD » Mon May 25, 2009 5:30 pm

ah well that makes it more clear.. so the decay actually sets it in bars rather than in envelope ?

Puranon

Post by Puranon » Mon May 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Cubase 5 PC

CH OH mute group doesn't work.

It needs a 'fixed velocity' option

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:12 am

CosmicD wrote:ah well that makes it more clear.. so the decay actually sets it in bars rather than in envelope ?
Something like that. However the OH cannot be infinitely long because of "current leakage" (ofcourse simulated).
Plugins sound master

ostiknostis

Post by ostiknostis » Thu May 28, 2009 7:35 pm

http://donthaveto.com/temp/fuk-eah.mp3

Thanks for Nithonat! The drum sounds are purrfek <3

(the loop uses only nithonat for all sound.. well, plus some silverline & u-he FX for flare) EDIT: oh man, I should never do stuff with the macbook's speakers.. The low freqs are a total mess! o'well..

Been making some more stuff.. Thanks again!