Latency

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
John-Marc

Latency

Post by John-Marc » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:21 am

I recently purchased Redopter and am very pleased with it - I'd like to use it on stage and am keen to find ways to minimise the latency.

Redopter is stable and glitch-free when i set my audio driver to 128 samples latency - this is pretty good, but would it be possible to improve on this if I could use Redopter in mono instead of stereo?

I'm using Logic as the host - if I set the relevant audio track to mono instead of stereo it doesn't seem to make any difference to the cpu load coming from Redopter.

Most guitarists using Redopter 'live' would only require Redopter to be in mono - adding stereo effects subsequently in the chain if desired.

Perhaps a mono/stereo switch on the Redopter panel would be a good idea?

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:48 am

Redoptor should automatically detect if assigned track is mono or stereo, but we'll check it with Logic.
One question here - do You have any external audio interface? I'm not sure if Apple's core audio can work with 2ms latency. It's not only a matter of CPU, but also the audio system.

Regards,
Jacek
Plugins sound master

John-Marc

Latency

Post by John-Marc » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:42 pm

Thanks for the reply - following up your info that Redopter should automatically detect mono or stereo tracks, I've done a bit more careful testing and yes you're right and I was wrong...the cpu load does reflect the difference - apologies for that.

As regards the possibility of getting the latency down further - I've been able to get down to 64 samples with other software (notably Revalver).

As for the audio interface, I'm using the built-in audio on a powerbook G4 - as far as I know from anecdotal evidence, a firewire interface doesn't improve latency - but you may have some better advice on this.

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi,

As far as I know the Core Audio is closest to the hardware on Mac platform. For example on Windows, ASIO is closer to hardware than native windows drivers. But on MacOS ASIO needs to be supported by Core Audio.

And You're right, using FireWire adds extra latency because of controller.

Best regards,
Sebastian

mitchk1989

Post by mitchk1989 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:10 pm

Sebastian@d16 wrote:Hi,

As far as I know the Core Audio is closest to the hardware on Mac platform. For example on Windows, ASIO is closer to hardware than native windows drivers. But on MacOS ASIO needs to be supported by Core Audio.

And You're right, using FireWire adds extra latency because of controller.

Best regards,
Sebastian
While this is true, it usually adds less latency than the built in audio interfaces on macs do... They have a relatively large safety buffer.

But yeah, the reason you can't get it down to 64 samples might be the fact that you're still on a G4...

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:15 am

Hi,

I'd like to emphasize, I'm not Mac expert, this is only my supposition based on my personal experience with MacOS :)

Regards,
Sebastian