Is there ever going to be a 'operating freq range' -knob?

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
ostiknostis

Is there ever going to be a 'operating freq range' -knob?

Post by ostiknostis » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi all,

I just bought fazortan two days ago, just to give some more cash to the hard working guys at D16! I checked the demos on site quickly, thought to myself "sounds reasonable" and went ahead and bought it.

Now, I got a chance to mess around with it yesterday. And I have to say that I immediately got off some cool synth loops with polyrhytmik phaser modulation goodness ;)) Sounds quite lush as well!

But.. I am not able to create a nice "phased hi-hat-line" effekt with fazortan, a technique that has been used in D-Tech for decades for good effect (I think some early acid house tracks use this effect as well?).

Sure enough, the hihats are affected by the modulation, but the "centerpoint" of the phaser seems to be set to a too low frequency, so I can't get the sound that I want. Snares especially seem to be in the "sweet spot" of fazortan, so I can have nice "phased snare-line" effects, but I'd really love it if I could use fazortan for the phased hihat-line -trick as well. All that would be needed is a knob for setting the operating freq range ( 100Hz - 16kHz, for example?)

What do you think guys? Impossible?

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:38 am

Hi,

At this moment with current sound processing path inside Fazortan it's impossible to tune allpass filters to achieve that. We'd need to add a oversampling to get higher frequencies, plus additional functions (that would calculate functions, that calculate allpass stage frequencies) - at the moment there're only those in bracket :). In a sum, all required changes would make our plug-in unbearable for current processors. Anyway, we dont say "NO", we could add this as a option to turn it on.

Best regards,
Sebastian

ostiknostis

Post by ostiknostis » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:34 pm

Sebastian@d16 wrote:Hi,

At this moment with current sound processing path inside Fazortan it's impossible to tune allpass filters to achieve that. We'd need to add a oversampling to get higher frequencies, plus additional functions (that would calculate functions, that calculate allpass stage frequencies) - at the moment there're only those in bracket :). In a sum, all required changes would make our plug-in unbearable for current processors. Anyway, we dont say "NO", we could add this as a option to turn it on.

Best regards,
Sebastian
Ok, thanks for clarifying that! It's sweet for what it does though, so I'll just figure something else out for the hihat-trick.. as CPU is, well, not an abundant commodity ATM ;)

rob_lee

Post by rob_lee » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:23 pm

Iv'e been waiting to download it but it just says pre order so i didn't bother..is FZ available now? If so i'll order tonight..
cheers rob

ostiknostis

Post by ostiknostis » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:32 am

rob_lee wrote:Iv'e been waiting to download it but it just says pre order so i didn't bother..is FZ available now? If so i'll order tonight..
cheers rob
Well, there's some kind of beta version available that you get when you pre-order.. I've been using this without problems for some time now :)

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Hi Robert,

You may now check Fazortan out: http://www.d16.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1505 :)

Best regards,
Sebastian