Dear D16 developers, Will there be a hardware Nepheton?

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
kvmoore

Dear D16 developers, Will there be a hardware Nepheton?

Post by kvmoore » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:18 pm

I'm new to this forum and I'd like to start off by saying hi to the D16 community.

I've am obsessed with the sounds of the TR808. As a current owner of a real 808, Novation Drumstation, and more 808 samples then anyone can imagine, I just recently downloaded a demo copy of Nepheton and was immediately impressed. This is the best 808 emulation I've ever heard!!!!! IMHO, it puts Rebirth to shame. It also sounds a lot better than the Drumstation too. And almost better than my authentic 808. Really, it's that good!!!! The only thing the Drumstation really has over the Nepheton besides it being physical hardware is the addition of "Tuning" knobs for the 808 kick drum and snare. However, everything that the Drumstation lacks is included in Nepheton. Quite frankly, the lack of pitch sweep envelope in the 808 kick, the decay of the 808 kick being to short, and the overall sound of the 808 high hats and cymbal in the Drumstation was a dissapointment.

Although I like the sound of Nepheton and the abillity to use it conveniently as a VST in any host application, I'm more of a fan and wide user of hardware than software and I would love to see Nepheton in the form of hardware. Does anyone know whether there will be a hardware version of Nepheton with the same exact features and functionality as the software plus a few additions such as tuning knobs for the 808 kick & snare and the ability to trigger every sound via MIDI like a sound module? To release Nepheton in hardware would be the best thing to ever happen to me because I've been waiting a long time for a modern TR808 VA with better sound than the Drumstation as well as more functionality such as Nepheton. If it existed, I'd preorder one today!!!!!!!

This is post is actually more of a request to developers or petition to create a hardware Nepheton because I feel there is an additional market with many people like me who prefer the hands on touch and feel approach of using hardware over software.

Creamware did it when they resurrected the Minimoog and Prophet 5 in the form of VA hardware. Their VA versions started out as software plugins in evolved into hardware.

Any addition comments or support would be appreciated.

Thanks

intrepidtraveller

Post by intrepidtraveller » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:22 pm

hardware would be a surefire way to put D16 out of business. the costs are so high in developing and manufacturing that kind of thing with such a niche market... i was talking to robert henke about it and his monodeck II and he says the same thing: it just doesn't make sense, financially.

what i would suggest is to create your own MIDI control box that you could customize:

check out: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_gallery.html

intrepid traveller

kvmoore

Post by kvmoore » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:08 am

Thanks for your reply. Wow, I wish I could build my own hardware but unfortunately I am no expert in electronics or circuit design. Those are definitely some skills I could use.

That's a good point concerning production costs and it has also crossed my mind as well. However, I think there's a large market for a "real" 808 VA clone. Although there are 909/303 clones out there, I have yet to see an 808 clone on the market today. Many may consider the Drumstation as a 808 clone but it's only halfway there since it lacks the sequencer interface. The interface of Nepheton is so similar to the real 808 yet much more intuitive and having it in the form of a hardware box without the need for a computer would be a dream come true.

Although I agree with you about the cost of developing the product as hardware, half of the development is already done (the algorithm) and it exists as software. The other half of the development would be on the actual hardware circuit design and CPU. Now as far as manufacturing the product, that's another ball game. I agree with you that manufacturing costs could hurt the company, but that's only if the market isn't good.

However, I think the Nepheton as hardware would be a successful product because it sounds so good and so close to the original, and in some cases, actually better. Not to mention the fact it has added functionality and "NONE" of the limitations of the original 808. Plus the hardware could also be designed to allow the sequencer to control other external MIDI gear, making creative possibilities endless.

intrepidtraveller

Post by intrepidtraveller » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:17 pm

but then you have to deal with distribution, shipping, all that kind of thing... the costs would go up since everybody needs a piece of the actions, i.e. music stores, etc. ... with software, it is instantly transimittable anywhere in the world with no manufacturing or distrubution costs. the only downside with software is the piracy issue. everything else makes more sense and it allows for an extremely reasonable purchase price.

as far as hardware control goes, why not buy a premade controller and assign all the knobs to it within your DAW? it's not as perfect as a dedicated box, but i honestly don't think you'll see hardware versions of these anytime soon...

or go buy an elektron machinedrum:) it doesn't sound anything like an 808, but it is the best physical interface out there for a hardware drum machine.

g.

kvmoore

Post by kvmoore » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:06 am

I guess you're right on that one. From a business perspective, it probably would be an expensive gamble, possibly a losing battle too.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.