Wrong beat "offset" in Cubase Studio 4

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
PeterM

Wrong beat "offset" in Cubase Studio 4

Post by PeterM » Sun May 06, 2012 7:49 pm

Hi,

I bought Nepheton used on KVR without demoing it first after hearing some demo MP3s.

I'm running Win 7 64-bit with Cubase Studio 4 (32-bit mode).
Settings are "Use internal sequencer" (no host mode or anything like that) and Host Play detection "By transport change".

When I set the cursor in Cubase to the start of a bar, why is Nepheton always one 8th note early?
No matter on which bar in the song I put the transport marker and press start in Cubase, Nepheton insists on synchronizing so it plays the first beat one 8th too early.
The only exception is when I jump to bar 1 (beginning) and start from there. Then it's synced properly.
Tried at different BPMs as well, same thing.

Extremely annoying.

If I snap the cursor to beats instead, I get the wrong offset as well, but I'm not sure exactly what the pattern is.
It does seem pretty consistent though. I mean wherever I put it, I get the same error each time on from that point.
Set it somewhere else, I get another error, but always the same from that point.
It's like it's playing the first 3 steps in the sequence at the same time or something...

It's useless to me as it is now. I need it to sync no matter where in the song I start it from.

I should add that I'm also using Sonic Charge MicroTonic without any sync problems.
Last edited by PeterM on Sat May 19, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastian@d16

Re: Wrong beat "offset" in Cubase Studio 4

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:37 am

Hi,

You're right. I was able to reproduce this issue also on Cubase 5, 6 with all Drum Machines - Definitely it's a bug on our side. I've just added it to a ToDo list and we'll do our best to release update with bug fix as soon as possible.

Till then i recommend you to use the other method of synchronization ("by the lowest C note"), that requires to put a the lowest possible C note on a midi track, which triggers Drum Machine to start playing instead of transport change event sent by host application. Or to use Host mode - of course if you do not take care much of Native mode's pattern storage system and Host mode's patterns (1 part / 16 step long) would be enough.

I'm sorry for inconvenience.

Best regards,
Sebastian

PeterM

Re: Wrong beat "offset" in Cubase Studio 4

Post by PeterM » Mon May 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Hah!
It's on all the D16 drum machines and NOBODY has noticed this before? Unbelievable :)
Good thing you were able to confirm it at least!

Anyway, thanks for you fast reply. (Didn't see you replied, thought I'd get email notification about reply by default)
Looking forward to the update :)

Cheers,
Peter