Nepheton Pattern Changing Midi Data

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
James Vance

Nepheton Pattern Changing Midi Data

Post by James Vance » Fri May 07, 2010 5:21 am

Hey all at D16,

Quick question...

I'm using all of your VST plugins in conjunction with Ableton Live. However when using the Nepheton (or any of the drum machine instruments) the pattern select buttons don't seem to do anything when recording in Live. For example, if I've created 3 patterns, when turning off pattern write (so that the step buttons now act as the pattern selectors), any changes in these are not recorded. It will record the drum machine itself, but not any pattern changes?

To sum up, it seems as though any changes occuring to any "buttons" (not knobs, as they work fine) during the recording process are ignored.

Any info / work-arounds / advice for this?

Thanks,
-Jim

Sebastian@d16

Re: Nepheton Pattern Changing Midi Data

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:43 am

Hi,

It's because step buttons are not automatable at all (at this moment - we're going to change this to give also possibility of editing patterns from a midi controller). I suggest you to use Host mode instead, where patters are triggered by a midi notes, so you can easily automate pattern changes.

I must warn you! In Nepheton pattern storage method for Native mode and Host mode is different, and those are practically two separate sequencers. In Native mode (the default one) single pattern can be comprised of up to 4 parts (A1,B1,A2,B2) (up to 16 steps long each). In Host mode single pattern is 16 steps long. However Nepheton allows to copy patterns from Native mode to Host mode and vice versa. Take a look into manual for details.

Best regards,
Sebastian

James Vance

Post by James Vance » Fri May 07, 2010 2:22 pm

Sebastian,

Thanks for the quick reply. Does host mode only work for changing patterns on the fly through a midi controller? For example I have an M-Audio Axiom 25. I guess I don't understand how keys on a midi controller will enable patterns to be changed on the fly if the midi learn function on Nepheton is disabled for those corresponding buttons?

Also, any idea when the updates to these new drum machines will be released? If it's very soon, it could be worth it for me to wait.

Thanks again,
Jim

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:50 pm

James Vance wrote:Sebastian,

Thanks for the quick reply. Does host mode only work for changing patterns on the fly through a midi controller? For example I have an M-Audio Axiom 25. I guess I don't understand how keys on a midi controller will enable patterns to be changed on the fly if the midi learn function on Nepheton is disabled for those corresponding buttons?

Also, any idea when the updates to these new drum machines will be released? If it's very soon, it could be worth it for me to wait.

Thanks again,
Jim
In host mode Nepheton responds to Note On midi messages, note triggers pattern, you just need to use your midi keys to switch patterns. You don't have to use midi learn for this, since it has nothing to do with Midi CC. You need to arm midi recording on a track where Drumazon is inserted + because patterns are switched immediately, so it's hard to spot exact moment of changing patterns, you have to use some sort of realtime quantization --- I believe it's not a problem for Live.

I don't know when the updates will be released unfortunately. Now we're completely focused on Shioitor.

Best regards,
Sebastian

computer controlled

Post by computer controlled » Fri May 14, 2010 8:37 am

Host mode is what you want when changing patterns via MIDI. Here's what i do:

1. Create a MIDI Clip in Live
2. Input a note, say C -1 at a full bar length
3. Take off quantization and lengthen the note down to just under a full bar*
4. Put quantization back on
5. Copy MIDI clip and move this note to the next note spot up

Repeat step 5 for however many patterns you want. When you go into Host Mode, the first pattern is on Note C -1 and they go all the way up to C 7. So you always want your first trigger note on C -1.

*Drumazon, Nithonat and Nepheton have a bug where if you use just a 16th note trigger, the first step of the previously playing pattern will play over the new pattern selected. The way to get around this is to set Nepheton up so it responds to Note Off. This essentially gates the pattern, it will only play while you have a note held. This is why you use a note trigger just under a full bar in length. Make sense?? =o]

BTW, how far along is Shioitor? I'm eagerly awaiting this one!!!!
SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . JP-08 . TT-303 . Bass Station . Eurorack Modular . Push