Include panning and 12 audio outs become 24

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
Battery Acid

Include panning and 12 audio outs become 24

Post by Battery Acid » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:18 am

Hey there
I've got on the Nepheton ship lately, loving it - but I noticed two main things. the 12 output limitation - fair enough if that's what you gotta do. but also, unless I missed it, there is no panning in Nepheton ?

If you include panning, then we can hard-pan sounds to the left or right of a stereo output and effectively have two mono outputs. Most daws should be capable to isolate L or R from a stereo signal...

I will describe this in Ableton live for example with iDrum. It has 8 stereo outputs total. I hard pan all the sounds to Left or Right and use up all the 8 stereo outputs for 16+ seperate sounds. Now, for each stereo output I set up two audio tracks both set to receive the same stereo output. I drop a 'utility' device on each track, and simply isolate the Left signal on the 1st track, and the Right signal on the 2nd track. And so on for the rest of iDrum's stereo outputs.

This gives me 16 outs in Ableton.

I'd really appreciate if you could add PANNING to nephethon for this reason alone, although it would probably be handy for straightforward panning uses too but the original 808 didn't do that ? so maybe that's why it's not an included feature already ?

thanks for reading!

Sebastian@d16

Re: Include panning and 12 audio outs become 24

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:05 am

Hi,

Wouldn't be simpler to increase number of outputs, and make them natively mono? (by plug-in)

We can increase it to 16, we had previously even more, but Ableton Live doesn't support more than 16 stereo outputs (it's the only host with such limitation). Please understand that adding panorama is far more complicated than adding outputs (reorganizing GUI, providing compatibility with mono - panorama doesn't work with mono outputs).

Best regards,
Sebastian

Battery Acid

Re: Include panning and 12 audio outs become 24

Post by Battery Acid » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:21 am

Ahh well it was worth a shot!

I was quite pleased with myself to get 16 outputs from iDrum!

I hope to see a solution for more outputs in the future..

thanks