internal master volume keeps dropping back to 0

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
eretsua

internal master volume keeps dropping back to 0

Post by eretsua » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:54 pm

hi,

i'm experimenting with nepheton in my sonar 7.2pe. it's a great synth but every time i stop my project the master volume of the nepheton drops to 0. if i hit play again it won't work. so every time i listened to my song and stop i have to control click the master volume on the synth's gui to make it jump back to the default sound.

i have no idea what is causing it or how to fix it but it's extremely annoying while composing.

i've tried deleting the ini-file but that didn't work. i've looked for the file that stores the midi controls but i couldn't find it.

if anyone has an idea i'd be much obliged.

thanks in advance.
underworld-ish techno @ www.myspace.com/navelmusic

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:26 am

Hi,

Does it happen when You start new project, insert Nepheton only?

I tried it out under Sonar 8 Producer, and everything works smoothly (internal sequencer and external sequencer).

What OS version do You use?

Best regards,
Sebastian

eretsua

Post by eretsua » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:45 am

hi sebastian, sorry for the late reply, i'm on the road.

i made a mistake in my initial post. i'm running sonar 8.3PE on winXP pro with all the latest updates. when i start a new project with just nepheton it also happens.

the problem didn't start until after i had tried to assign midi controllers (probably #071) to the master volume. i wanted to use midi controls instead of the normal automation envelops so i could enter them in the step sequencer. after that this problem started to occur.

hope this explains it a bit.
i won't be online again for another 3 days so apologies in advance for my slow response and thank for your help.

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:30 am

Hi,

No worries. That gave me time to get familiar with Sonar :), because I don't use it on daily basis. Defaultly Nepheton has no MidiCC assigned to its controllers, so I used Midi Learn option in Nepheton to assign the MidiCC event from my midi controller to Master Volume knob. I armed track and pressed play, so the events incoming were recorded. When I try to replay it, works fine. Could You send me over the project file with Nepheton only where this issue appears?

Thank You and regards,
Sebastian

eretsua

Post by eretsua » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:01 pm

sorry for the late reply, got caught up in other stuff.

here you'll find a sonar 8.3PE file. as you can see in the nephton gui the master volume is at it's default position. when i hit playback it will stay at the default position until it reaches the end of the file then it will drop all the way to zero. when i hit play again it stays at zero.

if i control click the volume in nepheton it jumps back to default and drops again at the end of the file.

the problem does not occur in audiomulch (another host).

anyway, if you find any clue to what is causing it i'd be happy to hear.

cheers!

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:40 am

Hi,

I loaded You track into Sonar, Ineed the Volume knob is set to zero after pressing start. I need to know few more things:

- Do You use some surface controller?
- What type of track is that? I want to create such project from scratch, but usually I insert midi and audio track to play with VST. In Your project there's only one track. How can I insert such track?

Best regards,
Sebastian

eretsua

Post by eretsua » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:08 am

hi Sebastian,

sorry for the late replies on my side.

i remember messing about with the surface controller settings prior to it starting to have this problem. though i don't have a surface controller. so i'll look into that see if i can reset something there or find something that fixes it. i'll get back to you on that shortly.

when i choose INSERT SYNTH in the synth rack i just get a single track. in the main tracks window you can right click it and choose SPLIT TRACKS and then you'll have a midi track again as well as an audio track. i don't know why sonar now combines them into one... it started doing that when i had upgrade from sonar 6 to sonar 8.

question, if you now insert NEPHETON in a new project of your sonar, does it then also drop back to zero after playing the file?

thanks for your help!

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:10 am

Hi,

I found solution I think!!! :)

When I loaded Your project, it must changed settings in nepheton.ini file to Yours. I don't know why, but it seems Sonar sends 0 value at MidiCC no.01 (Modulation) when You press stop. Probably their intention was "ok, so when You stop the song You want to turn the modwheel down".

1) Open nepheton.ini file within text editor (the file can be found in the same directory where Nepheton.dll lays).

2) Find the line: <assign param="Master Volume" CC="1"/>

3) Put "-1" in a place of "1" - it means Master Volume is not assigned to any MidiCC.

I hope it helps.

Best regards,
Sebastian

eretsua

Post by eretsua » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:22 am

yes! it got fixed! a massive thank you!!! :)

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:30 am

You're welcome :)