Recording question

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
hesselmid

Recording question

Post by hesselmid » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:46 am

Hi there! I just swithed from using Reason a couple of years to Ableton. I bought Nepheton as a drummachine, but it's really driving me crazy. I read the manual over and over and tried everything, but I have no idea how to record Nepheton.

When I play my recording in Ableton, it only plays the pattern that's currently used. So if I want to start with a simple 4/4 bass drum and then later in the track have some handclaps, how do I do that? I don't really know how to make it any more understandable, but maybe someone can help me.

Thanks in advance!

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi,

By default Nepheton is set to internal sequencer mode. So when You turn on record button in Your host application You'll be able only to record the pattern triggering notes. Turn the "INT.SEQ" led off, and Nepheton will act as a regular sound module, where sounds are triggered by particular notes (mapping is according to the general midi standard, but You can change it by yourself in a Nepheton.ini file).

Best regards,
Sebastian

hesselmid

Post by hesselmid » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:40 pm

I appreciate your quick reaction! :D

But how do you get the notes you play sequenced correctly. I'm playing with a midi keyboard, so do I have to move all the notes in Ableton's drawing mode or is there an easier way?

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:48 am

Hi,

The most convinient IMO way of editing drum lines is to use internal sequencer mode with host mode turned on.

http://www.d16.pl/index.php?menu=166

Turn on INT.SEQ led and HOST MODE led.

Every single midi note will correspond to single pattern. Now turn on PATTERN FOLLOW button. It'll cause that every incoming midi note will automatically switch Nepheton to corresponding to that note pattern. You don't need to turn on PATTERN WRITE mode, because in HOST MODE it's always turned on.

http://www.d16.pl/index.php?menu=168

Best regards,
Sebastian

hesselmid

Post by hesselmid » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:09 am

Thank you very much, that was excectly what I was looking for! :D