Edit patterns with computer keyboard

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
Tajnost

Edit patterns with computer keyboard

Post by Tajnost » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:52 am

Hello!

Sorry, maybe it has been already asked before, but i'm wondering is it possible to use 1-8(for example ) keys on the computer keyboard to edit drum patterns (i mean every key stands for the step in the pattern, like on real boxes... )? It would be so so nice, ultra easy way to tweak the machine!

Many thanks in advance!!!

Tajnost

Post by Tajnost » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:10 pm

I've got a reply from developers and two things are now clear to me:

1) It's not possible to use keyboard this way with D16 plugins right now.
2) Probably it'll be included in upcoming version.

It's very good news for me, but now i want to ask the community-

What do thing about this feature? Do you think it's usefull? If you'll use it, what is the best key combination for this?

Wanna let everybody know what do i mean exactly. I want to use some 16 keys on the keyboard for programming 16 steps in the pattern. I want to make my laptop with D16 plugins "closer" to my "real" machines in terms of usability. It's not very comfortable to use mouse live on stage for programming, too slow... and of coure i belive this way can give more inspiration. Maybe it sounds strange, but with keys on real machine i "feel" the pattern with my hands, with mouse it just like drawing or somethin'.

So, want to hear other opinions!

Shy

Post by Shy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:41 pm

I think it's a very good idea. Makes a lot of sense. Using a computer keyboard to copy, paste and delete files, open a new web browser tab, etc. is useful and makes sense. Using controller/synth knobs for live parameter tweaking instead of dragging a mouse cursor on a computer screen is easier, quicker, more flexible and sensible. And using keys to edit and change sequencer patterns like those in Nepheton can be ideal, even not just for live performance. Some time spent memorizing what is what and you can master the keys and have a workflow as fast as with a TR-808.

Tajnost

Post by Tajnost » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:00 am

And it works very nice for Phoscyon-

<> arrows - for next|previous step
1|2|3 etc - for notes
Q\W\E - for slide\accent\etc...

i think a lot of fun waitn' for everybody who will programm bass line this way :!: