Suggestion - Able to Play bass drum chromatically!

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
Dog Body

Suggestion - Able to Play bass drum chromatically!

Post by Dog Body » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:25 pm

What I would really love to see in a future update of Drumazon and Nepheton (although haven't tried that yet) is to be able to play the bass drum chromatically on a midi keyboard. One or even two octaves would be fine, but to be able to play an E and the bass drum to be in an E would be so useful.

A little note, I see people are asking for effects to be built into the instruments, in my opinion this is a bad idea, there are already enough effects out there, this will only waste memory and distract from what the instruments do best.

Jacek@d16

Re: Suggestion - Able to Play bass drum chromatically!

Post by Jacek@d16 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:42 am

Hi
Dog Body wrote:What I would really love to see in a future update of Drumazon and Nepheton (although haven't tried that yet) is to be able to play the bass drum chromatically on a midi keyboard. One or even two octaves would be fine, but to be able to play an E and the bass drum to be in an E would be so useful.
Unfortunatelly i think that's imposible, while both plugins generates whole sound instead of using samples.

But if You really need such effect You can - for example - use BD PITCH in Drumazon to tune bass drum, SD TUNE, to tune snare... and edit automation for this knobs.
I know that it isn't the same, but remember that we're using midi keyboard to trigger separate instruments - like in GM drum map.
Plugins sound master

Dog Body

Post by Dog Body » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:59 pm

Yeah trying to do it with just the pitch is rather annoying. I don't see why this would be impossible though, perhaps a button on the machine or simply keys higher on the keyboard could play the chromatic bass notes?

Perhaps D16 would be willing to make an individual kick plug-in with this implemented, something along the lines of Jomox's MBase01? I think genres like drum & bass and Dubstep would be really interested in a plug-in like this rather than having to re-sample. This could also make an amazing piece of freeware and would get people interested on the main machines. Well its a nice thought :) .

Acidhead

Post by Acidhead » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:53 pm

It's possible very well actually, even without having to recode anything on the VSTi side. At least if you're using a decent VST host, capable of some MIDI trickery. Just set it up so that some MIDI notes (keys played) will be transformed into controller events, which are routed to the bass drum pitch control. I already did so for the Drumazon BD, and it works quite well.

If you use Cubase or Nuendo, proceed as follows (in no particular order):

(* Make sure the Nepheton responds to incoming MIDI notes, so 'INTERNAL SEQ.' should be OFF);

* Make sure that the BD pitch control is controlled by a MIDI CC. I used number 1 (modulation);

* Set up a MIDI track with it's output routed to Nepheton, and add two inserts (not VST FX inserts, but plain track inserts for MIDI tricks etc.) on it:

- one 'Transformer' insert should be of the 'Insert' type (change default setting in the top left corner box):

Code: Select all

Type = Note  AND    Value1 inside A#-2/10 G#0/32
to

Value2 swap1    Type is Controller    Value1 is C#-2/1    Value2 subtract 10    Value2 mult 6.0476
(NB: I calculated the latter value by dividing 127 over 21, since 127 is the total range for a MIDI controller, and I used 21 notes to scale the range from A#-2/10 to G-0/31, which I guess is a close approximation of the pitch range of the BD).

Another 'Transformer' insert should be a 'Transformer' type:

Type = Note  AND    Value1 inside A#-2/10 G#0/32
to

Value1 is C1/36
The first one makes MIDI controller #1 values out of incoming MIDI notes A#-2 to G-0, scaled from 0 to 127, to cover the entire range of the bass drum.
The second one transposes all the notes within this range to note C1, which is the default BD key (so you do not have to extend the drum map, it just uses an empty part of the map). This way the keys actually (re-)trigger the bass drum too.

The second insert can also be omitted (or switched off) if you just want to control the BD pitch with MIDI notes, without (re-)triggering the bass drum, so you can for example bend it halfway during a played note.

Acidhead

Post by Acidhead » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:56 pm

BTW we're on the wrong part of the forum for a discussion of bass drum tuning; perhaps the site admin could move the thread to the Drumazon part?

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:31 pm

Moved :)
Plugins sound master