Introduction beta tester and first findings about the Beta94

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
usrfobiwan

Introduction beta tester and first findings about the Beta94

Post by usrfobiwan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:14 pm

This is my first contribution to the beta testing program. First let me introduce myself, so people can understand that i'm not some idiot saying stupid TR-909 facts... ;)

I am Philip (aka USRFobiwan) I am a ex-producer in the Dutch house scene from 1988 till 2004 (first acid then, chicago house, trance, hardcore and techno. I have made numurous records and and have worked with other producers like Jeroen Flamman (Fierce Ruling Diva) , Daniel Leeflang (DJ Dano), Carl cox, Dj Vox and many many others in the Dutch house scene)

You can find some of my discographs over at Discogs:
Odysee
TinHill

So now i got that of my chest we can get along with "THE god of bass" the TR-909. I own a TR-909, infact i am the first owner, and bought her in 1985. I have also played with several Tr's in the past 20 years. And there is a big difference in the series. For example, some batches have different EPROMS (or Operating Systems) ranging from version 1 to version 4. The version 1 series tr's could not stay in sync with midi when midi clock is send to the machine it also has some additional bugs.

Before you ask: You can see the version if you hold down TRACK1 and power up the TR-909.

Also some ranges have different or altered sounds then other series. Like for example range (serial number: 000001 to 14.000) had a very short decay. My serial number was in the 30.000 range and was the last known series. This series is the "must have" house TR series. So if you want to buy a TR be sure to ask for the serialnumber (25.000 and up and you are good) So watch so spacial about these 25k plus series? The bassdrum is the best. It has a long decay. way Longer then the other serial series. Also the tune dept range is longer or deeper sounding.

And that brings us to my first beta testing, i have compared it to my own TR-909 and below are my findings:

The decay of the TR basskick is to short! way to short! It has to fade out more. Open up the gain on your desk to the max. Open the bass eq all the way and you "should" here a distorted beeaauuuwwww kick that decays and fades away. It does not happen with the beta period.

Also the low tuned kick doesnt sound right, my TR sounds deeper and wider. Maybe to do width the decay time, dont know yet.

The snare is well... the same really. excellent work guys!
Same for the rimshot :P

The clap is almost the same, om my TR it sounds slightly thicker, like adding more fathness or eq'ing more bass.

The rest of the sounds not compared yet, but my findings are of most important i think. Because its all about the TR-909 basskick!

Let me know what you think...
Mascletas: "The most accurate simulation of thunder, humans can simulate..."

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:10 am

Hi usrfobiwan

thanks for Your report :)
I don't remember what SN is at our 909, but anyway i have an request to You: please sample Your kick at maximum, medium and minimum DECAY with TUNE=0 and TUNE=10 and send it to us at contact@d16.pl (should be 6 samples)

I'll compare it with our 909 and we'll see...

Regards,
Jacek
Plugins sound master

usrfobiwan

Post by usrfobiwan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:45 am

No problem!

Custa

Post by Custa » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:29 pm

I wonder if different series can be modelled and switched between them :) Of course AU should come first ;)

Motiatronix

Post by Motiatronix » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:11 pm

Hi usrfobiwan...very good and interesting that you posted this info . :D

custa wrote:
I wonder if different series can be modelled and switched between them
Definately!

I was not aware that later versions had a significant difference in the BD decay.

Then again with my Jomox I got used to the massive 2.5 secs IIRC that they extended the BD decay up to and once using would find it very hard to not have that range anymore and I most definately enjoy the way it bleeds away.Also your post has just reminded me about the tuned drum playing option on the Jomox.One for a later FR I think.

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:38 am

usrfobiwan has forgot to mention that his tr909 is "hand" modded ;)
Plugins sound master

usrfobiwan

Post by usrfobiwan » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:40 pm

Jacek@d16 wrote:usrfobiwan has forgot to mention that his tr909 is "hand" modded ;)
Thru! :lol:

But even without the mod my TR has a slight longer decay on the bassdrum. And i believe this is the same for some of the other sounds aswel. Saying that; As you allready have noticed with all the sampled sounds i send to you from my TR it is very different sounding from your TR.

I'am trying to emulate my TR as close as possible as i can into Drumazone and make it a default PLIP-TR-909 set. But it is very hard, because after hearing the real thing and the drumazone notes a few minutes, it gets confusing and the brain does not notice the difference anymore :oops:

I hope that this way more people will make a close as possible emulation of their TR. And share it with the community...

But first lets make a longer decay on the BS or other sounds :twisted:

tguzzardo

Post by tguzzardo » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:18 pm

do you think you can make a clap "clicking" knob that controls the time of the saw velocityon the clap? that would be nice as well :twisted: