Bass Drum Decay and CPU usage in PC version

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
Motiatronix

Bass Drum Decay and CPU usage in PC version

Post by Motiatronix » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:50 pm

Hi D16

Thought I would just pass this by you in case there is something going on and perhaps worth investigating.I'm also aware that fuller optomisation of the code is not done yet from another post.

I'm thinking here that the famous BD is using a lot of horses to keep it true to the original possibly more than any of the other drum instruments.

Ok this is on my scratch pad Laptop (of modest power these days) but even so Drumazon should still do justice with this spec particularly on its own with no other plugs running.I appreciate it could be audio driver just not coping since I'm using asio 4 all (5 secs latency,bigger buffers cause to much lag) and internal sound card and hardly anyone is going to realistically being using this for any serious work.

The original drums are all monophonic so as soon as the next trigger hits on the BD you get that classic cut off that partly contributed to the machine gun effect.Maybe using long decays on repeated hits will hang on to cpu processing more than it should.I wouldn't have thought the decays on BD would be this greedy.All other instruments set to max decay with more than 2 drum instruments playing full of 16ths are no problem if BD decay is less than around 75%.Or I imagine perhaps all the recalculating between BD hits is pressing the cpu hard anyway/needs to.?

1 BD 4/16 beats playing on its own with no other instruments, when I set BD decay to near maximum around 95% sequencer timing slows down.Big CPU use.

2 In this case I move toward/set Bass Drum decay to around 75% plus:

(a) If another drum is playing or I start another, odd timing anomalies, in particular lagging in sequencer timing ,missed beats.

(b) Distortion in other drum instrument that is playing.

(c) Although the drum that is distorting is panned hard left, I'm hearing the distortion coming out of the opposite right channel.

When I do the above I start to get erratic and big cpu spiking.Even when not spiking and machine settles down to around 50/60% cpu I'm still getting the same problems.

I don't notice this in my Core 2 duo but if this is something that is going on its nice to know less cycles are being used than needed.

Regards,

Thanks.

P4 1700 Mobile
512 Meg Ram
Gforce 420 Go 32 meg Ram
Internal Sound Card
Asio for all driver at around 5ms
Win Xp Home
Tracktion 2

Motiatronix

Post by Motiatronix » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:48 pm

EDIT: Re BD Decay.Sorry guys after trying to change all sorts to stop this problem amongst BD settings and other instruments etc it dosen't appear to make any difference to the problem.It appears also that it only happens when there is 3-4 hits/or high beat counts in the BD.

Weirdly I did the opposite and when all 16 hits are playing or increase to 16 (with max decay) the problem goes away, even when all other instruments are playing full pelt with max decays.Conversely as I remove beats the problem returns.Some sort of weird calculation/timing problem perhaps going on between the beats for the BD.In fact I'm getting really good solid performance from this spec otherwise.

This is consistently reproducible.

EDIT: The distortion is with the BD not another instrument but it does come from the opposite speaker that the BD is on.(again maybe this is a Tracktion 2 thing as the drums appear to be panned hard left for output 1 and hard right for output 2.

Rim shot and hand clap have no accent control or rather these are always lit with the brighter accent led.Not sure if there should be accent in the 1st place though.

FR: Talking about distortion....are there any plans to add a unit ?

Also will the total accent when it comes be saveable per preset ?

regards

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:27 pm

Motiatronix wrote: ...
Weirdly I did the opposite and when all 16 hits are playing or increase to 16 (with max decay) the problem goes away, even when all other instruments are playing full pelt with max decays.Conversely as I remove beats the problem returns.Some sort of weird calculation/timing problem perhaps going on between the beats for the BD.In fact I'm getting really good solid performance from this spec otherwise.
Download newest beta and try again. I did denormalisation error prevention in code - i'm sure that it was the reason, because You are using Intel processor.
Motiatronix wrote: Rim shot and hand clap have no accent control or rather these are always lit with the brighter accent led.Not sure if there should be accent in the 1st place though.
Yes, because 909 also have no accent control. We've only added this feature for OPEN HIHAT
Motiatronix wrote: Also will the total accent when it comes be saveable per preset ?
Per pattern exactly. We've just added new control near knobs shuffle, flam and TA to choose between "preset mode" and "free".

Thanks again,
Jacek
Plugins sound master

Motiatronix

Post by Motiatronix » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:11 pm

Hi Jacek

Jacek wrote:
Download newest beta and try again. I did denormalisation error prevention in code - i'm sure that it was the reason, because You are using Intel processor.
Works perfect!....absoloutely no problems now. :D

Motiatronix wrote:
Also will the total accent when it comes be saveable per preset ?
Jacek wrote:
Per pattern exactly. We've just added new control near knobs shuffle, flam and TA to choose between "preset mode" and "free".
Fantastic!

BTW Drumazon seems to be even tighter and faster with 0.9.3b...a bit of nitrous.:wink: