TR-909 vs Drumazon

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
tguzzardo

TR-909 vs Drumazon

Post by tguzzardo » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:32 pm

I am very impressed on how you guys even got the cool sounding modulated noise when you drop a snare and a clap on eachother! How long did that take you guys to do? I took my laptop over to my neighbor's house and we did a TR-909 vs. Drumazon. The only fault of Drumazon is when you distort the kick (all the way) and have a 4 to the floor going, it sounds sampled. The 909 kick has a different tone every hit. When we gave it a bassdrum roll, it sounded like the pitch went up on the kick, but it was just the tune that was doing that. Tell me if you get what I'm trying to say or not, I can re-word it.

networkacid

Re: TR-909 vs Drumazon

Post by networkacid » Mon May 14, 2007 2:49 am

tguzzardo wrote:I am very impressed on how you guys even got the cool sounding modulated noise when you drop a snare and a clap on eachother!
If both clap and bass drum sound right, then the two mixed together will also sound right. Simple mathematics... 1+1=2 ;)

tguzzardo

Post by tguzzardo » Mon May 14, 2007 2:59 am

well the clap is noise generated. and by that i mean that the clap hits different parts of the noise. the 909 bassdrum does too.

edit: 909 bassdrum's tune depth is the sound

Jacek@d16

Post by Jacek@d16 » Mon May 14, 2007 8:44 am

It's exactly like that:

clap and snare are modelled with the same noise, but different filtered and different phase at filters output - that's all :)
Plugins sound master

jjsr

Post by jjsr » Wed May 30, 2007 4:43 pm

don't know if i'm the only one, but i find that the snare drum module sounds a bit thin. In comparison to 909 Snare samples.
greetz ***jjsr***

tguzzardo

Post by tguzzardo » Wed May 30, 2007 4:47 pm

yes... i've noticed the same. sounds a lot different distorted.

Acidhead

Post by Acidhead » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:58 pm

Well of course a 909 SHOULD be distorted / overdriven / etc. to get a fatter sound... much like a 303 or Fender Stratocaster.

jjsr

Post by jjsr » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:21 pm

After playing around with this 909emu and using different fx like overdrive etc. i came close to that hard snare sound! :D
Another fact is that noise modulation. In fact of using or hearing productions with samples this synthesized sounds sound strange but very good!
greetz ***jjsr***

mpodrug

Post by mpodrug » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Hm i dont know. Somehow clap even in this free version(see link) does sound more close to original. I like that one on drumazon it really can stand out but check this:

http://lab.andre-michelle.com/fl-909

This is free flash based 909 emu with source code available. Of course it is unusble in DAW since it is flash. But imo that CH, is way closer to original. Something is wrong with envelope on drumazon ch. Toms and clap also seems to be much closer on this flash emu then on drumazon... :?

Yep i finally get one real 909 again. It does have broken low tom and crash but rest is ok. I would like to see drumazon to be closer to original even without added extra. Just more close to original. BD is ok but it can only do about 50% of what original can do. I cant get that low "tumph" or however you want to call it. Sure i can eq and compress VST but on original i dont have to do anything..But then i dont have recall like on VST...ah.. 8)

Puranon

Post by Puranon » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:35 pm

post some A/B .wav files

mpodrug

Post by mpodrug » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:44 am

Of what in particular ? I will post CH tomorrow. This is really confusing me since this is sample and it should be same on all 909 out there. I will record CH through Creamware A16 and into Scope v4.5 software (now called Sonic Core).

This should be ok.

See ya soon.

Puranon

Post by Puranon » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:14 am

mpodrug wrote:Of what in particular ? I will post CH tomorrow. This is really confusing me since this is sample and it should be same on all 909 out there. I will record CH through Creamware A16 and into Scope v4.5 software (now called Sonic Core).

This should be ok.

See ya soon.
Just do 1 bar of each drumsound. First your 909 then Drumazon and on to the next sound.

To be fair you have to record Drumazon through the same A/D and make sure levels are the same when you record so you dont have to adjust sample volume afterwards.

mpodrug

Post by mpodrug » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:47 am

I will match volumes no problem. And i see your point of running drumazon through same A/D. But be it or not you will see that difference is pretty obvious. It seems that CH on Drumazon is compressed or distorted in some way. Most obvious (and easiest to track down)is when both 909 and drumazon CH decay is set to lowest. I am aware of different settings, analog circuit(volumes) which are different even from unit to unit.

But problem is in some kind of distortion. And envelope is slightly different My english is bad so take my apology for that, Most of time i have hard time to tell what i want to tell :oops:

Later this day when i get home i will post some examples.

I am slowly starting to believe that this is because of copyright problems(roland bit** hehe) or something. If that is case then we cant do anything. I was running demo of other 909 emulation which i wont mention here (just to be fair) and they have CH even worse then on drumazon but they put attention on this in manual saying something about copyright.

I played yesterday with BD on both 909 and drumazon and i must say they (d 16) nailed it pretty right. I can not ask for 100% same because it is impossible and i like longer decay on Drumazon. All in all drumazon is one of my better purchase of any kind of VSTi ever!

mpodrug

Post by mpodrug » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:43 pm

Hi! Link is here: http://www.4shared.com/file/38306832/84 ... _pack.html

Sorry but i dont have some place to store zip file directly so you will have to browse on this site. File is virus checked and you dont have to worry.

I did not mess with Drumazon Tune settings assuming that this is 909 default settings. You can hear that Drumazon CH does have slightly more attack. I must say that this is really small difference but you can hear it when tempo is faster. Though maybe this is from unit to unit. Or i am having some problems in host. Little explanation:

Today and sometimes before i experienced some weird things in Drumazon which can lead to this difference but i can not isolate problem. Sometimes just sometimes when i mess with global tempo in host Drumazon sound is changing with tempo also. For example if i am at tempo of 130 BD is sounding fine but if i jump to 30bpm, somehow all BD envelope settings are loose and BD is weird sounding. Decay is longer/different, tune is different.

This is happening only sometimes. I dont know how to replicate this but it is happening. After restart everything seems to be fine. :o I will check on board maybe someone is experiencing same thing too. Cubase and FL Studio here but same thing in both programs,

Anyway this is for tech support. Back on topic. Closed Hat...My opinion is that it is somehow different but all in all with that price in mind and knowing how well is everything else simulated i should not whine anymore. If they change it in future fine with me if not again fine :)

Good job D16! 8)