Tempo scale

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
Cricriiii

Tempo scale

Post by Cricriiii » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:19 am

Hello everybody,

I come up with a basic question since I just started trying Drumazon and Tempo Scale leaves me puzzled...

Since I'd like to have a progressive drum machine beat as I could do with a real machine playing live by adding and killing parts as I'm playing, I found no other solution than writing what I'm doing in my instance of Cubase as a regular drum pattern in the piano roll, after I found what I wanna do on Drumazon.

I tried to make some 3 (or 6) beat pattern to fit in a 6/4 (or 6/8) signature, but I'm doing it wrong. I only manage in making the 12-steps pattern in the picture I attached fit within a triplet quantized 4/4 pattern...

Can you explain me a bit more than what the manual does how the tempo scale work ? I mean, I know music, I know signatures, I know everything but I think I'm missing an important point here !

In the manual, it says :
"Tempo scale can be described as the number of steps per quarter note. Default value is four
steps per quarter note. Successively counting from the bottom there are: 8 steps per quarter
note, 4 steps per quarter note, 6 steps and 3 steps per quarter note."

But to my understanding and when I look at the interface, I rather understand :

Binary feel (works as 4/x signature in Cubase) :
- bottom : 4 buttons per quarter note, then eighth notes like : "1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a 1..."
- one upper : 8 buttons per quarter note, then sixteenth notes like : twice as faster

3-beat-ish feel (works as 3/x or 6/x or 9/x or 12/x or... depending on where my accents are and what length is the sequence) :
- one upper : 3 buttons per triplet, then : "1 two three 2 two three 3 two three..."
- one upper : 6 buttons per triplet, then : "1 and two and three and 2 and two and three and 3 and two and three and..."

Where am I wrong ?

Thanks for your answers, it'd help a lot :)
Attachments
drumazon.jpg
drumazon.jpg (58.53 KiB) Viewed 12611 times

Sebastian@d16

Re: Tempo scale

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi Cricriiii,

I know the Tempo scale designation on GUI can be a little confusing and in fact it does not explain everything, the designation on Drumazon's GUI was just taken "as is" from its progenitor (Roland's TR-909). In both; Drumazon and TR-909, markings of Tempo scale look the same and Tempo scale switch works also in the same manner on both machines. We decided to keep original markings for those of users who have already had an experience of using real 909 and just wanted to switch to Drumazon smoothly. Tempo scale, just like manual states, doesn't really changes time signature, rather than it adjusts time duration of a single step. As so if we start from the bottom:
1.PNG
1.PNG (29.12 KiB) Viewed 12607 times
This represents single step with duration 1/16th
2.PNG
2.PNG (22.27 KiB) Viewed 12607 times
If you select this one, single step will be 1/32th
3.PNG
3.PNG (33.02 KiB) Viewed 12607 times
This one sets the single step's duration at 1/8T
4.PNG
4.PNG (38 KiB) Viewed 12606 times
And if you pick the last one, the single step's duration will be 1/16T

So in fact Tempo scale is responsible for changing time divisions rather than setting up a time signature. If you want to have internally sequenced pattern that uses 6/4 you will have to split it into two patterns, where first one is 16 steps long and other one has 8 steps, and will have to be played in queue in Native mode. To get 6/8 time signature just decrease pattern length to 12. In both cases leaving Tempo scale at its default.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Cricriiii

Post by Cricriiii » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:05 pm

I was a bit away lately and didn't think of much of the internet, here I am now to thank you for your previous response :)

I still have some misunderstandings...

What is a "single" step ? The whole line or each black rectangle ? (Basically, on the first picture you linked, do I have one step or 4 steps ?)

Actually, by reading I'm still wondering how to write in Cubase what I program in Drumazon, it's kinda mind puzzling...

Well, anyway, I had not much time lately, but I'll try to find out by myself in accordance to what you said to me, and if I have furthing issues, I'll ask you !

Thanks again !

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:47 am

Hi,

Single step is a one note of a sequence represented by single step button:
single step.JPG
single step.JPG (45.58 KiB) Viewed 12534 times
By default single step's duration is 1/16th note.

Kind regards,
Sebastian