Internal patterns triggering

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
Przemek@d16

Internal patterns triggering

Post by Przemek@d16 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:00 am

I would like to know your opinion about some idea before we implement it. First some intro :)

When you use internal sequencer you must choose between Chain Mode and Single Pattern Mode. These modes rather exclude each other because they have different use.

When you want to use exactly the same chaining as in the 909 you'll choose Chain Mode. Chain can contain range of patterns which are played circular (looped). Chain can not be empty so it always have at least one pattern. And once you click another pattern (eg. on GUI) you define next pattern which will start play when actual pattern reach the last step. You can define end of chain range with CTRL+LMB.
The important thing is that chain starts running when you press START on GUI or when you press Play on your host and next pattern can start only if actual pattern reach the last step.
Because of users may want to use Chain Mode eg. playing live using the GUI buttons to control the chain range can be uncomfortable. Better if he can use external controller to do it so we mapped notes from pattern numbers range and it is possible to control the chain directly from external midi controller. The Midi note set next pattern in the chain whilst pressing one note during holding another one set the chain range.
So in summary the Chain Mode is dedicated to use synchronized with the host when you want to set quickly range of patterns to be played and forgot about it. Then change the chain etc.
This mode is rather to playing live than editing chain contents across midi track or something.

Single Pattern Mode was dedicated mostly to be edited with the rest of the song on Midi Track, piano roll etc.
In this mode each note starts the pattern and it's played until note is off. With this user can easy decide when specified patterns start and stop in the song and it's quite good visible and editable on the piano roll how long pattern plays etc.
Important is that each pattern is started immediately after Midi note on message.

Single Pattern Mode has not been originally designed to playing live. When controlling with keyboard you should keep the key pressed to continue running so it's not the best solution.

But we understand that users may want to trigger patterns freely (not using the chain) in any time without need of keeping the note pressed.
There are many solutions for this but we think that one of the most flexible is to take into account velocity of the note.
Eg. there is some predefined velocity level let's say 100 (of course user will be able to change this value if he want). When the note on message comes with the velocity lower than 100 the pattern will be triggered in the 'normal' way and continue playing until note off comes or another pattern starts.
But when the note on comes with the velocity greater than 100 the pattern will be triggered 'instant' and will not stop when note off comes. It'll stop when another pattern starts or when user press the same note once again with the velocity lower than 100 (to give the ability to stop pattern in any time).
With this feature user can just triggers the patterns to test them eg. during edition or even playing live with it when he has good timing ;)
And it not affects the 'offline' song edition when you put on the piano roll 'silent' notes.

Sorry for that long reasoning but wanted to explain it precisely and hope I did it (sorry for my English :))

Waiting for your opinions, suggestions, feedback...

Cheers,
Przemek
Last edited by Przemek@d16 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Przemek@d16

Post by Przemek@d16 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:36 pm

Yeah I know my English is bad but hope it can be read :)
Please don't be so shy ;-)

Cheers,
Przemek

ozorg

Post by ozorg » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:06 pm

jo, sounds all cool ...

but right now all these features seem to address very special needs ...
speaking for my self, i am still very busy figgering out the basic stuff.
(using it with sx 3.1)
besides that, some issues like the missing settings still keeping me from using it in that depth. therefore most of the stuff you said above
is really out of my space till now ... ;-)

maybe having some kind of pre-manual would help.

8)
http://www.myspace.com/duvalle

Przemek@d16

Post by Przemek@d16 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:25 pm

ozorg wrote: [...]besides that, some issues like the missing settings still keeping me from using it in that depth[...]
Got it and working on it :) tomorrow should be fixed.
Przemek

star-lite

Post by star-lite » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:24 pm

Hi Przemek,

sounds great! Do it...
I don't really care how it's implemented, as long as I can trigger those patterns from the daw seq.

Cheers,
Frank

gbrennan

Post by gbrennan » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:17 am

Przemek,

That is an excellent idea.

However, I think having a dual function based on key velocity could be a bit confusing - especially playing live.

Would it not be better just to have a switch and have this as a mode?

I take it that what you are talking about here is the feature which appeared in one of the betas (when you were working on the cubase timing issue)?

BTW, I've been going through some old tracks I did in the past (as far back as 5 years ago). Importing them into Cubase 4 and redoing the drums with Drumazon. That causes me to tweak the bass sounds etc. Within a few hours they sound completely different. Old tunes I was sick of hearing at the time when I worked on them (and had in fact scrapped) brought back to life because of Drumazon! Its a great way to spend a day when you can't be bothered composing new stuff.

Oh, and your English is much better than my Polish. :)

Thanks.

Gary.

woodster

Post by woodster » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:44 pm

Why not ?

If it's easy to implement, and doesn't detract from the overall support of the product, maybe making it an option as allready mentioned ?