problem with drumazon sound

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions

problem with drumazon sound

Postby 3phase1 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:41 pm

hi there.. i just purchased drumazon and am pretty pleased how close it sounds to the roland 909.. except 2 sounds..
the snare and the clap sound not as goods and close to the 909 as the others.. and they actually hurt a bit in the ears

booth snare and clap are much to high and bright..they really eat an ear.. booth sounds are on the real 909 rather meaty..

This is pretty astonishing for me because the cymbals are really smooth in the highs..so its not a general soundengine problem
I wonder how this could have happened? ist it a bug? or was drumazon modeled after a broken 909?
sounds like a 909 with too hot tuned noise generator somehow..

I know that any 909 sounds different but i know quite a few and there is a general 909 character that it has more solid snare and clap sounds as an 808.. espeacially the snare can sound with the wright processing mighty real somehow..
and the claps have some meat also, rather wet sounding.. on the drumazoon booth are rather noise based,,not much body, and hard for the ears.. not as cloose to the 909 sound as the rest of the kit.

I wonder wether others are not so happy with snare and clap aswell?
And will there maybe an update at one point that might optimize this?

happy new years eve
3phase1

Re: problem with drumazon sound

Postby benjaminxxx » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:48 pm

hello 3phase1!

I was recently trying out the drumazon demo and experienced just the same problem but was too lazy to post a request here. I found out that this seems to be a phasing problem with the clap-sample. When inverting the phase, the problem seems to be gone!

Here some examples:

http://snd.sc/g9oIhU (phasing occurs, Snare AND Clap at the same time = funny phasing occurs, ears wanna cry

NOW, if I send the clap to an separate output and invert it inside my DAW, everything seems to be fine:

http://snd.sc/dU3ClP

So please, dear developers ... maybe just inverting the clap-sample might solve the poblem?

greetings

EDIT: okay, it seems like the authors problem is different from my request, since he is talking about the single sounds itself, and my problem is regarding both sounds (snare + clap) played simultaneously!
benjaminxxx

Postby computer controlled » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:39 am

The HC and SD are designed to sound that way when played together. The real 909 does this. They both share the same noise generator in the real machine, so this is the reason it sounds this way.

As for how they sound alone... i don't find them too harsh at all. Just EQ them down a bit.
SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . JP-08 . TT-303 . Bass Station . Eurorack Modular . Push
computer controlled

Postby 3phase1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:17 am

you can eq them as you want.. they dont become 909 sounds this way.. ok..the snare works than.. but the clap is wrong way to skinny

so if future optimisations on the sound engine are planend i would look intop theese sounds.. with a real 909 its not probem to run all sounds thru a single out.. without exrenal eq.. wit the draumazon you have to engage single outs and extra plugs to get it balanced..

otherwiese the snare and clap are just not really part of the set
3phase1

Postby usrfobiwan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:44 am

This discusion bout the snare/clap sounding 'weak' was also on this forum way back in 2007. They still sound weak/flat compared to my own TR909. I have send the samples of my TR to D16 at that time also but never got any feedback on it other then 'all machines sounds' different. That may be but we all have to agree by now that the snare and especially the clap really are weak compared to the real thing. If they share the same noise engine and both sound weak then there must be something wrong in the internal sound path. (i am just guessing here!)

:wink:
Mascletas: "The most accurate simulation of thunder, humans can simulate..."
usrfobiwan

Postby JRr » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:04 pm

+1 for the clap! I have to replace the clap with a sample everytime afterwards. the snare is also missing a bit but not as bad. that said I like the other sounds!
JRr

Postby usrfobiwan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:35 am

D16 still didn't do anything to resolve/fix/update this issue, or even responded in this topic. Which is the most viewed topic by the way...

Guess we have to live with the fact of a 'thin' sounding snare and clap. Everyone that have used Drumazon in my studio says it sounds too thin and they are well known producers in the Dutch house scene. In the mean time D16 is surpassed by other company's better implementation (or emulation) of the classic drum machines. It's a shame because I really liked D16 support. Guess once successive they don't care about the little things anymore.
usrfobiwan

Postby Sebastian@d16 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:43 am

Hi,

I'm sorry i wasn't answering in this thread, we'll take care about that issue in future, but not immediately, since we have plenty of work with 64bit updates, checking out and providing Lion compatibility and LuSH-101.

Thank you for understanding,

Best regards,
Sebastian
Sebastian@d16

Postby usrfobiwan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:41 pm

Seems like the D16 crew is being bussy doing cool stuff I understand, But a heads up once in a while would be nice :wink:
usrfobiwan

Postby 3phase1 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:00 pm

Its allmost 3 years later now and the shitty clap sound is still not fixed.. the other channels show that you are able to get closer.. that you never tried to fix that dont motivates to buy other plugs of you.
3phase1

Postby Sebastian@d16 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:42 am

Hi,

It is absolutely not our intention to disappoint you guys, we just have limited resources to take care about everything in reasonable time period. I'm very sorry if you feel that we somehow neglect our older products, but we really don't. We're right now in the middle of preparations of our plug-in framework to be compatible with the latest OSes available, also to make our software ready for Pro Tools platform. So we have to adapt those features that are commonly shared by all our products (like automation of parameters, preset management etc). In the near future we're going to release updates of our whole software line, one by one, and within each of the updates, we're going to add as many as possible those minor features you guys have been asking us about and to fix all the bugs that have been our ToDo lists for a long long time already (including one mentioned in the thread).

Kind regards,
Sebastian
Sebastian@d16

Postby Puranon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:47 pm

As soon as you get the OS issues done, start implementing those sound engine updates and expanding outputs to 16. Drumazon is the best sounding of all your drum machines but you should listen carefully to your customers that work with the real 909 to improve it further. The Nithonat sound engine is the one that's going to need the most work.
Puranon

Postby abique » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:50 pm

Hey any updates here? I saw this threads and that's what holding me from buying Drumazon.
Thanks!
abique

Postby Sebastian@d16 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:18 am

Hi

We're almost done with maintenance update of all Classic Boxes. You may expect release candidates to be released very soon (within week or so).

Cheers,
Sebastian
Sebastian@d16

Postby Puranon » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:27 am

Maybe this will wait till 2.0, but enable MIDI output for the AC.
Puranon

Next

Return to DRUMAZON