What is this? (pic) & question regarding accent

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
JRr

What is this? (pic) & question regarding accent

Post by JRr » Mon May 31, 2010 12:54 am

- I really would like to have an LED which indicates which drum is played (example: when the sequencer plays a "clap" the LED above the "clap" should flash..). I first thought that this (see pic) is this kind of LED, but it doesn't do anything here... so what is this? :)

- Another question, is the volume difference between accented notes (bright red light) and normal notes (dark red light) the same as on the hardware 909 (I'm using drumazones int.SEQ.) ?

I would be nice to have a possibility to control the volume from these accented steps too, because the volume difference is often a bit to much (have use a compressor because the dynamic is to high otherwise).

Sebastian@d16

Re: What is this? (pic) & question regarding accent

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:28 am

Hi,
- I really would like to have an LED which indicates which drum is played (example: when the sequencer plays a "clap" the LED above the "clap" should flash..). I first thought that this (see pic) is this kind of LED, but it doesn't do anything here... so what is this? :)
It is supposed to work, however it depends on how host application handles the graphics refreshing thread. In some host it does it properly and each and every event is captured. Some hosts make GUI refresh not so often as they supposed to do, and some of events are omit. E.g. in Cubase 5.1.1 with Drumazon 1.4.4 works perfectly fine.
- Another question, is the volume difference between accented notes (bright red light) and normal notes (dark red light) the same as on the hardware 909 (I'm using drumazones int.SEQ.) ?
I would be nice to have a possibility to control the volume from these accented steps too, because the volume difference is often a bit to much (have use a compressor because the dynamic is to high otherwise).
Volume differences (as well as some other qualities of sound) between accented and non-accented notes are exactly the same as in original 909 using int.SEQ.

Do you mean to control volume per each step, or just a simple parameter that controls this difference?

Best regards,
Sebastian

JRr

Post by JRr » Mon May 31, 2010 7:26 pm

It is supposed to work, however it depends on how host application handles the graphics refreshing thread
Thanks for the clarification! And just as a info, it seems that it doesn't work in ableton 8.
Volume differences (as well as some other qualities of sound) between accented and non-accented notes are exactly the same as in original 909 using int.SEQ.
Great, good to know. That was exactly the info I was looking for.
Do you mean to control volume per each step, or just a simple parameter that controls this difference?
That's more then I was thinking about, but maybe it's useful to have a control for each sound (one for the kick, one for low tom,...)? I'm not sure. I had a simple control in mind that just controls the volume ratio between these two ("bright red" and "dark red"). On the one side the original 909 dynamic and on the other side a lower dynamic.

And just to make sure we talk about the same... even when I'm thinking that we talk about the same... :)
I mean when you have a tom, kick, clap,... and accent the steps in the sequencer (not the global accent!).

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:17 am

Hi,

I understand you perfectly and know what you mean. You mean the ratios set separately for each instrument. Probably there'll be another update of 1.x version, that solves all appearing problems with AU and VST. And all the add-ons features we plan to do in 2.x version, because most of features we've already gathered break compatibility completely and create whole new possibilities. This feature you're talking about could be included within 2.x upgrade.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Puranon

Post by Puranon » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:37 pm

Sebastian@d16 wrote:
Does this rule hold for Nepheton too?

Nepheton adds an extra accent option that only the 909 has, so whch level is supposed to correspond to the original 808 instrument level?

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:43 am

Hi,

To achieve realistic 808 sound in Nepheton, do not use half-accented notes, just fully-accented or not accented at all.

Best regards,
Sebastian

JRr

Post by JRr » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:52 am

Sebastian@d16 wrote:Hi,
It is supposed to work, however it depends on how host application handles the graphics refreshing thread. In some host it does it properly and each and every event is captured. Some hosts make GUI refresh not so often as they supposed to do, and some of events are omit. E.g. in Cubase 5.1.1 with Drumazon 1.4.4 works perfectly fine.
As said, it doesn't work in live. any chance to fix it? a working feedback would definitely speed things up here.

JRr

Post by JRr » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:08 pm

Just want to pust the missing LED feedback with drumazone and Ableton8.

Puranon

Post by Puranon » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:48 pm

Sebastian@d16 wrote:Hi,

To achieve realistic 808 sound in Nepheton, do not use half-accented notes, just fully-accented or not accented at all.

Best regards,
Sebastian
This extra step is annoying. The people who buy Nepheton are simply looking for an 808 clone. Whenever you are emulating hardware you should make all such modifications the exception rather than the rule. Bear that in mind for LuSH-101 when you are implementing all the extra features not found on the real 101.

So to get half-accented note programming of the 909 in Nepheton the user should have to do CTRL + Mouse Click, otherwise it should be just as the same as programming an 808 with only one accent level.

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:29 am

Hi,

@Puranon: Agree, and it'll be done, but within the next version of Nepheton.

Best regards,
Sebastian

JRr

Post by JRr » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:00 pm

just want to push this. the LED indicator just don't work reliable with ableton 8 here. this is really cumbersome when you program the 909 in the plugin.

sometime hits are indicated and others are not. this is even more distracting than a complete not working LED indicator.

best wishes

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:09 am

Hi,

It's added to do list, will be fixed within update.

Best regards,
Sebastian