CPU Hog?

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
lowkey

CPU Hog?

Post by lowkey » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:42 am

I bought Drumazon a few weeks back and love it.
However it seems to use alot of processing power, particularly in Cubase4.1.2 on a mac.
One Drumazon running 12 multiple stereo outputs utilises 50-75% of the CPU in Activity monitor. Note: as its dual core 200% is the limit.
What are you guys experiencing in your host sequencers? Is this higher than normal?
Basically 1/4 to 1/3 of my Macbook Pro 2.2GHz laptops power is used, which means bouncing down to audio earlier in the process :(

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:34 am

Hi,

Do You use native (CoreAudio) sound output or external ASIO sound card. Seems Cubase doesn't manage very well with native MacOS sound output. I tried VSTi synth (not Drumazon) under both, namely Ableton and Cubase. The result; Cubase: 60% CPU usage (with even buffer underruns), Ableton: 13%. I tried it on our Mac Book pro 2.2 Ghz CoreDuo. Excluding measurement (division by 2) it'd give about 30%, which not explains underruns.

Drumazon in fact has a peaks and such CPU consumption as YOu mentioned about. But under Live it goes smoothly (CoreAudio).

I'd like to make an appeal to other users, could You tell us what is Your usage of Drumazon under Your hosts? It'd be great if You tell us also Your OS version + CPU + Sound card.

Best regards,
Sebastian
Last edited by Sebastian@d16 on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mpodrug

Post by mpodrug » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:47 pm

Core 2 at 2,13ghz, Windows XP sp2, FL Studio and Cubase sx3, Drumazon alone is eating 7% to 12% (depend on voices played at the same time)according to built in CPU monitor inside FL Studio, Cubase and Windows task manager. All three displaying same result...

Pretty good for such nice sounding instrument IMO 8)