Sigmund causes buffer underruns when transporting in DAW

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions

Sigmund causes buffer underruns when transporting in DAW

Postby djw » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:16 pm

Hi d16 staff,

When I transport my position in FL Studio 12 (and probably other DAWs) it causes buffer underruns, audio glitches and overall lag.

I recorded a demo of it:

Image

- The green lights in the Mixer window indicate which plugins are enabled.
- The amount of underruns are shown in the right hand corner.
- The position marker becomes laggy when Sigmund is enabled and audio glitches are heard.
- Antresol is also enabled but doesn't cause this issue. No other plugins do this.

Let me know if this issue can be fixed.
djw
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:40 am

Re: Sigmund causes buffer underruns when transporting in DAW

Postby Sebastian@d16 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:19 am

HI,

I don't suppose this is very real-life situation here. I'm speaking of grabbing cursor and fiddling back and forth. Can you tell me whether the buffer underruns appear when Sigmund is used in normal conditions; when you replay a song, or a loop in the project? In the situation you visualize there's lot going on internally (especially when delay lines or modulators are synced with host's tempo) when the plug-ins tries (few times per second) to catch-up the exact PPQ (cursor position) of the project and reinitialize buffers accordingly (especially when we speak of 2ms long ASIO buffer, which is quite achievement alone for USB audio interface) - these kind of procedures are launched only for such occurrences and aren't triggered very often when you just hit play.

Thank you,

Kind regards,
Sebastian
User avatar
Sebastian@d16
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:20 pm
Location: Katowice/Poland

Re: Sigmund causes buffer underruns when transporting in DAW

Postby djw » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:52 am

Sebastian@d16 wrote:HI,

I don't suppose this is very real-life situation here. I'm speaking of grabbing cursor and fiddling back and forth. Can you tell me whether the buffer underruns appear when Sigmund is used in normal conditions; when you replay a song, or a loop in the project? In the situation you visualize there's lot going on internally (especially when delay lines or modulators are synced with host's tempo) when the plug-ins tries (few times per second) to catch-up the exact PPQ (cursor position) of the project and reinitialize buffers accordingly (especially when we speak of 2ms long ASIO buffer, which is quite achievement alone for USB audio interface) - these kind of procedures are launched only for such occurrences and aren't triggered very often when you just hit play.

Thank you,

Kind regards,
Sebastian


Hi Sebastian,

The example was a worst case scenario to highlight the problem, but not exclusively the situation when it happens. A lower buffer length increases the amount of underruns, but using 512 or 1024 samples will still cause the same issue.

Here's a recording of more normal use:

Image

Repositioning the cursor even once causes the same issue, and dragging the cursor into position is a normal use case for me. It not only is more slow but causes audio glitches.

Everytime Sigmund is reset, on playback, on transport and when stopping all sounds an audio glitch occurs.

My specifications are:
Image
djw
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:40 am

Re: Sigmund causes buffer underruns when transporting in DAW

Postby Sebastian@d16 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi,

Thank you for further information you've provided us with. Could you tell me what CPU / ASIO usage the FL STudio's meter indicates when this issue happens? Btw. does it occur when Sigmund is the only plug-in in the project? In such case what CPU usage FL Studio reports and whether you notice any CPU's usage peaks when the underruns kicks? Some extra info could also be very useful, like:

- What exactly version of FL Studio 12 do you use?
- Do you run it in 64bit or 32bit mode?
- Have you installed Sigmund 64bit or 32bit?
- Does it differ when you try to use some generic ASIO drivers like ASIO4ALL?

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards,
Sebastian
User avatar
Sebastian@d16
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:20 pm
Location: Katowice/Poland

Re: Sigmund causes buffer underruns when transporting in DAW

Postby djw » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:05 pm

Sebastian@d16 wrote:Could you tell me what CPU / ASIO usage the FL STudio's meter indicates when this issue happens?

At idle with just Sigmund it uses 5% CPU/ASIO. Scrubbing the transport cursor doesn't do much but make it fluctuate between 4-7%.

Sebastian@d16 wrote:Btw. does it occur when Sigmund is the only plug-in in the project?

I've tested this with just one instance of Sigmund in the project. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

Sebastian@d16 wrote:In such case what CPU usage FL Studio reports and whether you notice any CPU's usage peaks when the underruns kicks?

There don't seem to be any CPU peaks.

- What exactly version of FL Studio 12 do you use?
It occurs in the latest normal version v12.2 build 3 and the public beta version v12.3 build 34.

- Do you run it in 64bit or 32bit mode?
I confirmed the bug in both 64 and 32 bit FL.

- Have you installed Sigmund 64bit or 32bit?
64 bit.

- Does it differ when you try to use some generic ASIO drivers like ASIO4ALL?
The bug also occurs with the bundled FL Studio ASIO. I can also try ASIO4ALL if you want.

To simplify when exactly the bug happens: it's anytime the plugin is "reset".
djw
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:40 am

Re: Sigmund causes buffer underruns when transporting in DAW

Postby Sebastian@d16 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:57 am

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Just one more question; what Processing Quality in Sigmund have you set? And whether it makes difference when you select the least CPU demanding one; namely Draft?

Kind regards,
Sebastian
User avatar
Sebastian@d16
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:20 pm
Location: Katowice/Poland

Re: Sigmund causes buffer underruns when transporting in DAW

Postby djw » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Sebastian@d16 wrote:Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Just one more question; what Processing Quality in Sigmund have you set? And whether it makes difference when you select the least CPU demanding one; namely Draft?

Kind regards,
Sebastian


It was tested on Low/Draft. I went back and set it to Ultra but it makes no difference.
djw
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:40 am


Return to SIGMUND

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest