CPU Thread Issue

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
Spiralking

CPU Thread Issue

Post by Spiralking » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:38 pm

Heya guys - Any news for when this might be addressed?

(as the vst just sits on one thread in 12 available on a hexacore machine)
Free SoundCloud Promotion & EDM Community. http://www.cloudkillers.com

Sebastian@d16

Re: CPU Thread Issue

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi,

This issue have been often raising since we released LuSH-101. So i'd like to elaborate on a subject of high CPU usage in our latest plug-in. First of all our LuSH-101 does not take an advantage of multicore architecture, because it's supposed to be a host's task (it's the host app that should take care about assigning all the plug-ins in a project to particular cores in your system, to spread the CPU usage evenly). Host application runs plug-ins by creating threads for each of them. "CPU meter" (double quotation marks put there intentionally) in almost all host applications. It's not really CPU usage at all. it's ASIO usage, which in principle corresponds in some way to CPU usage (this two values agree proportionally). But ASIO usage hits the 100% much quicker, since it depends (among the others) on how well written are the ASIO drivers provided with your audio interface. But mainly (approximately) ASIO usage corresponds to the usage of the most loaded core in your CPU. So if plug-in does not utilize multicore architecture, you can expect when you insert first instance will take all the CPU time from single core it needs (which is represented as CPU usage / ASIO usage in host application you use), the remaining cores in your CPU are unoccupied (that's why when you switch to a task manager you get the way smaller readings, since value shown there represents usage of all cores in a sum). Please notice, when you insert another instance of LuSH-101, the CPU / ASIO usage won't increase, since LuSH-101 will be assigned to another free core. So you get confusing reading that two LuSH'es use same CPU as single one, but it's not true, it just the way the CPU meter in host apps works.

We're currently making research of available methods allowing to create plug-in with multicore support, and we need time to do that, because we want perfect solution that will work on all available on the market CPUs (not only i7) + we want multicore support working with Mac OS X and Windows.

Last word of addendum, LuSH-101's CPU usage is mostly caused by its multilayer architecture, if you limit using LuSH-101 to only one layer, you'll see it'll be consuming even less CPU, than other competitive synths with same polyphony set.

Best regards,
Sebastian

lagrangeaudio

Post by lagrangeaudio » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks Sebastian, I posted exactly the same sentiment over at KVR a few days ago:

"It makes me laugh all these people complaining about high CPU loads. To put this into perspective my desktop is a 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2Gb RAM running WinXP SP3. Pretty much at the lower end of D16's recommended spec. LuSH runs brilliantly on my machine. Here's why:

1) Firstly as a computing professional it amazes me just how many people have poor running machines. Too many unnecessary processes, devices, services etc etc If your music is important to you then configure your machine exclusively for music and don't install and run anything you don't need. Perform regular maintenance such as reg cleans, temp file removal, defrag etc you would be amazed what a difference these simple things make.

2) LuSH-101 is actually 8 synths, not 1. Too many people treat it as one single synth but this is not the case. Each layer is a polyphonic synth in its own right with unison, supersaws and effects. Look at it this way, take your favourite poly synth now and put 8 of them into your DAW. I'm pretty sure your CPU usage is going to be as high, if not higher than LuSH. Comparing it's CPU usage with other synths is invalid."

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:27 am

Hi,

I saw your post in the LuSH-101 reviews at KVR the other day :) .. thank you for doing so.

The no. 1) of your post isn't even as much important (of course it's good habit to have your music workstation completely separated from the internet, without any unnecessary junk installed) as the no. 2). Those of the presets included within factory bank in LuSH-101 that utilize more than one layer make this instrument being a CPU hog, not the efficiency of implemented algorithms. It's the way of using LuSH-101, not LuSH itself, can lead to processor being stuck, even the most modern one.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Spiralking

Post by Spiralking » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:36 pm

Thanks for the speedy & detailed reply.

Thankfully Lush can be copied as noted to create thicker sounds - and look forward to seeing if this can happen within a single instance so the voices can be spread around a bit for huge chord work without bouncing between instances to tweak.

I really apologize for being such supersaw-whore ;)

Spiralking

Post by Spiralking » Sat May 25, 2013 8:46 pm

Hiya,

Please can you update on progress towards this - projects with Lush that have moved into Ableton 9 now cause massive CPU hanging - would love to be able to spread this over cores. D16 seem to have gone off the radar with any updates.... please don't leave in the dark :)

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:10 am

Hi,

As we said, making our software multi-threaded is a long term plan and this feature surely won't appear within one of upcoming updates we're going to release. Making plug-ins being able to utilize multi support systems (which is btw. against the vst or au speicifcation) elegantly is an extremely difficult task.

Best regards,
Sebastian

F5D

Post by F5D » Wed May 29, 2013 7:51 pm

In my opinion, there is no point in making it compatible with multiple cores, if the developer thinks it is of too much work. I would use the resources to update the other more minor features of the plugin, such as the gui, and some other things that are possible to implement within a reasonable amount of time, and will benefit everybody. The plugin has so many features and layers that it does not require huge skills to max out a single core, but that is not a problem of the plugin, but the user. Multiple instances of the plugin are distributed on multiple cores anyway, so I do not see a problem here. Just limit the no. of layers, unison, poly and fx. With HW synths there are limitations as well, not a big deal IMO. :)

Spiralking

Post by Spiralking » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:39 pm

F5D wrote:In my opinion, there is no point in making it compatible with multiple cores, if the developer thinks it is of too much work. I would use the resources to update the other more minor features of the plugin, such as the gui, and some other things that are possible to implement within a reasonable amount of time, and will benefit everybody. The plugin has so many features and layers that it does not require huge skills to max out a single core, but that is not a problem of the plugin, but the user. Multiple instances of the plugin are distributed on multiple cores anyway, so I do not see a problem here. Just limit the no. of layers, unison, poly and fx. With HW synths there are limitations as well, not a big deal IMO. :)
Well, I'm a saw whore agreed - but even with separating the Lush across parts the projects will start to fail later into projects or more recently in Ableton 9 the vst isn't very happy with doing even simple things - this is on a hexacore. So it's like a sorta timebomb in projects (there are a few vsts like this) - and isn't as easy as stripping it down and layering sometimes when a specific sound is needed. In regards to other updates I agree there are other needs by other people - but this to me is the only thing i need (the sound to work and the vst to be reliable in my huge saw whoring projects)

d16group
Site Admin

Post by d16group » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:12 pm

We've locked this topic since after release the version 1.1.0 it's become irrelevant.

Kind regards,
D16 Group