Devastor crashing problem (traced!)

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
t00nz

Devastor crashing problem (traced!)

Post by t00nz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:10 am

I'm having a bit of a problem with Devastor. I'm using 1.2 and I'm sure it has worked in the past.. but just recently I had some problems with Reaper crashing, and tracked it down to this plugin.

Now it seems to have got worse.. if I even add 1.2 devastor to a project I instantly get a crash (something about ntdll.dll, let me know if I can supply some more details).

If I roll back to 1.0 everything seems to be fine.

Any clues?

Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by t00nz on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sebastian@d16

Re: Devastor crashing problem

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:20 am

Hi

We need more details to be able to eventually reproduce this:

- what OS do you use?
- what version of Reaper?
- and does the problem appear if you start with an empty project and insert single instance of Devastor on audio track? (no other vsts)

Best regards,
Sebastian

t00nz

Post by t00nz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:57 am

Hi

Im using Windows Xp 32 bit on a core 2 duo, Reaper 3.66 (had similar issues on recent earlier builds).

Yes, I can add devastor as the first effect in a new project and get the error immediately before the gui is visible. seems ok with all other 1.2 plugins I tried.

regards,
Gordon

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi,

I updated Reaper to 3.66 and couldn't reproduce it with Devastor 1.2. Everything works fine.

Could you copy here the exact message you get, when Reaper crashes (that one about ntdll.dll) ?

Do you have SP3 version of XP?

Best regards,
Sebastian

t00nz

Post by t00nz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:57 pm

Well good and bad news :?

I went back to my DAW (yes SP3 btw) after a day unused, repair installed 1.20 and it is all working fine (nothing I hadn't tried before but there you go).

Worrying because I don't get to find out what caused it, but the plugin works fine now anyway. If the error does come back I'll capture the details and post here (could possibly be buffer size related, as I was previously mixing and this time tracking.. so use different latency settings... but I'm guessing).

Thanks for your support though, it is appreciated in any case and suggests something other than the plugin may be involved.

t00nz

Re: Devastor crashing problem (traced!)

Post by t00nz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:36 pm

ok this is due to buffer size. if i load reaper and set my asio buffer to anything over 50ms then devastor insta crashes, where it seems 100% stable at 50 and below. Seems to be the only one of the d16 plugs to object ( and repeatable here with devastor as the only plugin loaded)

could you guys try again to replicate and maybe update with a fix?

many thanks
Gordon

Sebastian@d16

Re: Devastor crashing problem (traced!)

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:30 am

Hi,

I was unable to set ASIO buffer more than 40ms so i checked with WDM drivers (240ms) and worked fine. Then i make tests once again at my colegue's computer with ASIO buffer set to 69ms. Also everything was fine. I really cannot make Reaper to crash.

Best regards,
Sebastian