Hardware Modules

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions
Black Sunshine

Hardware Modules

Post by Black Sunshine » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:04 am

is it possible to use nepheton to control a hardware module...assign software controls to control hardware parameters.. basically to use nepheton as an editor/librarian and only for the graphics as in Soundquests' Uniquest?
best regards
Black Sunshine

Black Sunshine

Re: Hardware Modules

Post by Black Sunshine » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:36 am

Hi,
I checked the manual and i believe it does under the 'midi control tab'.
Am I correct in assuming this? Thanks in advance,
Black Sunshine

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Hi,

It's not possible, you're only able to control Nepheton using external MIDI controller, not in the opposite direction, namely using Nepheton as controller which parameters/knobs can control other instrument's parameters. The only way to use Nepheton as a master device is using its sequencer to send MIDI notes to some external sound module or other VSTi instrument. So you can trigger drum sounds of some sampler using Nepheton's internal sequencer.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Black Sunshine

Post by Black Sunshine » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:29 pm

Hi Sebastian,
Can you please clarify this from the manual. I thought i understood, but then i didn't.
From the manual:Midi control tab
Nepheton can assign its controls (on GUI) to any MIDI CC (Midi Control Change), allowing the control of the plug-in.

Also from manual:In this mode the plug-in waits for any change in the parameter value (movement of any control on GUI) and for the movement of any MIDI CC control from the external MIDI controller, which operates on an active MIDI input channel directed to Nepheton. The order of these actions is irrelevant.
During the above-mentioned actions, the status bar informs about the currently changing values of controls and provides their names.
When a MIDI control <–> GUI control link is established, a line is added to the MIDI CC link list:
Thanks,
Black Sunshine

Sebastian@d16

Post by Sebastian@d16 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:25 am

Hi,

The MIDI CC implementation in Nepheton allows for unidirectional control only, namely you can assign knobs or buttons on your hardware MIDI controller to a desired set of sound parameters in Nepheton and you can control sound parameters' values using hardware controller (by binding in pairs). Using MIDI learn option in Nepheton binds MIDI CC (that represents hardware control) with Nepheton's sound parameter. But as i said it's unidirectional control, so you won't be able to tweak the knob on Nepheton's GUI and make the hardware synth or other VSTi plug-in to respond for action performed on GUI. You also need to be aware that set of parameters that can be assigned to MIDI CC codes is limited to sound parameters only, you cannot for example use hardware MIDI controller to enter the patters or control pattern edit functions, etc.

Best regards,
Sebastian