Trigger with Drumazon the arpeggiator of other VSTs

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music. Wishes, ideas and feature suggestions

Trigger with Drumazon the arpeggiator of other VSTs

Postby ienabellamy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:19 am

Hello ! just buyed the drumazon and i really love it. my question is how to trigger with Drumazon the arpeggiator of other VSTs like the real roland 909 ? wish to know how achieve this inside Logic Pro 9 (if is it possible with AU limitations) and inside Maschine from NI in standalone mode, using the Drumazon in VST mode. i Know that from drumazon i can activate midi output and choose which step to trigger (kick, snare, accent etc..) and the number of channel... this is the first step, and then? sorry i'm a newbie :)
ienabellamy

Re: Trigger with Drumazon the arpeggiator of other VSTs

Postby Sebastian@d16 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:17 am

Hi,

Despite it's possible to use Drumazon's MIDI output in VST variant, i'm not sure if Maschine enables the plug-ins opened inside of it to utilize their MIDI outs at all (even in Maschine standalone). You need to check out Machine's manual to be sure.

Best regards,
Sebastian
Sebastian@d16

Postby ienabellamy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi Sebastian ! and thanks for the answer... so you'are telling me that

1) in Logic i can't for sure. Because of nature of AU limitations, understand right ?
2) in Maschine maybe it's possible.

i'm going to ask inside Machine forum ;) meanwhile thanks !!

p.s. are u using this feature on which sequencer ? Ableton ? can you explain me the procedure in Ableton please ? i wish to try on my Le version just to see the results.. thanks !
ienabellamy

Postby Sebastian@d16 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:26 am

Hi,

1) Yes. It's not possible since AU specification doesn't allow plug-in to send MIDI messages out. AU plug-ins may only receive MIDI messages (restricted for AU instrument only).
2) It may be. But i'm not sure. Technically it is possible for VSTs to send out MIDI messages, but it's host dependent. You need look for details in Maschine's manuals and consult more experienced users of Maschine host (it's good idea to post at NI forum).

p.s. are u using this feature on which sequencer ? Ableton ? can you explain me the procedure in Ableton please ? i wish to try on my Le version just to see the results.. thanks !

Again i'm not sure what LE variant of Live allows for, but i suppose using VSTs' MIDI outs is one of the basic functionalities and should be included within all available Ableton Live's versions (LE, Standard, Suite). Anyway procedure of taking an advantage of Drumazon's MIDI out in Live is fairly simple; Drag Drumazon over the project (MIDI track for it will be created automatically - Let's call it MIDI track 1), then add new MIDI track (MIDI track 2), which will be receiving MIDI events from Drumazon. To redirect output from Drumazon onto the MIDI track 2 just select appropriate MIDI source in MIDI track 2; in I/O section you'll find "MIDI from" combo box. Using it select input (You should see name of MIDI track 1 listed there - pick this one). In I/O section right below there's another combo box, set its value for "Drumazon". Arm MIDI track 2 and you're ready to play. When Drumazon plays in Internal mode (no matter if in Native or Host mode), it generates MIDI events that will be sent to MIDI track 2. Of course you can drag some VST instrument (e.g. drum sampler etc) over MIDI track 2, so it could receive MIDI notes from Drumazon. In such configuration Drumazon is just a sequencer while instrument on MIDI track 2 acts as sound module controlled by Drumazon.

ps. Don't forget about muting Drumazon's audio output(s) because you'll hear both VSTs at once.

Best regards,
Sebastian
Sebastian@d16

Return to DRUMAZON